• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question for the expats...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the expats...

Over the last few months I've noticed a number of cars here with foreign plates. Nothing strange about that you might think but...although these cars have foreign plates (couple polish and now an english one which hasn't moved for the last few months) they also have a local residents parking permit displayed.

Now everything I've read/been told so far, says that if you move to another country and become a resident there, then you have to re-register your car in that country. In fact I thought it was illegal (says so on the EU website), i.e. no driving round avoiding speeding tickets for the next X years because you've still got foreign plates.

So how can they get the resident parking permit when they've still got UK plates on the car?

dunno what you are talking about

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 31 October 2005, 10:38.

Comment

Hmm...understand what you're saying, still surprised though.

Seems something of an obvious dodge though if its your own car, e.g. car registered in UK under 'Joe Black Ltd', car driven full-time in Belgium with UK plates by 'Joe Black' while displaying resident card behind windscreen.

I know in some EU countries (not sure about Belgium) that the moment you/your company is considered taxable in that country then you also have to register the vehicle there.

Comment

Milan.
        Last edited by milanbenes; 31 October 2005, 10:39.

Comment

"not if you are not the registered keeper and you are borrowing it from the owner"

From your own company...

Comment

Milan.

Comment

Depends where you're resident

What is residence? I spend most of my time in one country, but also own houses in other countries where I am also registered as a resident...

In the Copenhagen area of Denmark the most usual dodge is to own a flat in Lund or Malmö just across the bridge in Sweden, then you can have a Swedish registered car which is at least a quarter of the price of owning a Danish registered car... One chap I work with bought a flat for his daughter and is often seen 'borrowing' her car.

On Jutland they buy a flat in Germany to do the same thing.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"you need to remove those tunnel vision glasses"

I got the point from your first post Milan , of course anyone could be registered as the keeper, I was just laughing at the idea of saying to some official here, "no honestly sir, I'm just borrowing the car for a couple of years"...

As I said it still seems such an obvious dodge if the cars parked outside someones house all the time, with foreign plates, and a residents permit which expires in 2007 stuck in the window.
                Last edited by Joe Black; 31 October 2005, 09:59.

Comment

Milan.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X