• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is HD overrated?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I have HD video cameras for the bicycle races, and being able to zoom in on the image from the top of a hill to riders a couple of kilometers away is quite something.
    That reminds me - my video camera is HD - and now my HDMI cable has arrived I can try plugging it in
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Well that was a pleasant interlude in my afternoon - thanks!
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Lots of people who seem to know a lot about tvs.. If I were to spend around the 300/400 quid mark on a 32 inch+ tv, be it plasma or LCD (Ive not got much of an idea of which tech is better) are there any recommendations of specific models from you knowledgable tv watching folk? I would be using it for sky and xbox360, so some HD input would be available.

Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
          Any recommendations?
          This model replaces the Sony I bought at Christmas. Mine is great so this one probably is too:
          Sony Bravia KDL32S5500U 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview £379.99 (from Amazon)

I bought from John Lewis to get the free 5 year warranty

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            A good CRT will still beat LCD's and Plasmas on SD but most of the degradation is due to source being stretched over the increased screen size, you really need to buy a screen that fits your viewing distance which in most cases would be no more than 8-9 feet.

A 50 incher will look absolutely crap from that distance with an SD source.
            I have a 51" TV I watch SD on from less than 8 feet. The picture quality the set is capable of is outstanding. It is a CRT projection, and given perfect input, it is good as smaller direct CRT sets. Of course on a screen that size viewed at that distance, anything wrong with the quality of the input is going to be immediately visible. It's easy to tell the difference between TV dramas that were filmed in HD and those that weren't, even though you are viewing them all in SD.

I'm postponing my HD purchase to the later of Sky dropping their £10 a month premium, and a 50 inch or bigger OLED set costing less than £2K. (The only OLED on sale at the moment costs 1.5K for 11 inches!)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 28 June 2009, 18:23.

Comment

How does HD compare with the resolution seen at the cinema these days??

I have Blue-ray and cant tell the difference between this media and a good DVD (we have several movies in both formats). It would need to be a massive change in the availability of films in Blue-ray to convince me that HD worth it.

IT all depends on if what you want to watch is available in HD or not.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                That reminds me - my video camera is HD - and now my HDMI cable has arrived I can try plugging it in
                That didn't work - the camera has a mini HDMI socket
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                  I have a 51" TV I watch SD on from less than 8 feet. The picture quality the set is capable of is outstanding. It is a CRT projection, and given perfect input, it is good as smaller direct CRT sets. Of course on a screen that size viewed at that distance, anything wrong with the quality of the input is going to be immediately visible. It's easy to tell the difference between TV dramas that were filmed in HD and those that weren't, even though you are viewing them all in SD.

I'm postponing my HD purchase to the later of Sky dropping their £10 a month premium, and a 50 inch or bigger OLED set costing less than £2K. (The only OLED on sale at the moment costs 1.5K for 11 inches!)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
                  Pardon me, but I call bulltulip on that. You can buy a 40" LED Ultra Slim TV by Samsung on Dabs for £1199:

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...d-tv-5GLV.html
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                    Pardon me, but I call bulltulip on that. You can buy a 40" LED Ultra Slim TV by Samsung on Dabs for £1199:

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...d-tv-5GLV.html
                    Get a cheap (Panasonic or Sony) bluray player and a HD700X projector. (should be less than £600 for both)

Sort out the sound (your hi-fi ot surround sound system?) and you will be amazed at what HD on £600 can look like.

My screen is 2 metres across - it looks awesome - far better than any TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                      Get a cheap (Panasonic or Sony) bluray player and a HD700X projector. (should be less than £600 for both)

Sort out the sound (your hi-fi ot surround sound system?) and you will be amazed at what HD on £600 can look like.

My screen is 2 metres across - it looks awesome - far better than any TV.
                      Yeah, and the bulb for that model of projector costs £200 a pop...
                      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Working...
                      X