• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A boat in zero gravity : would it sink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Do try to keep up........ I queried the "acuracy" of Science in ST TNG and you came back with L2 being a good place to hide an Alien Ship.... ie by directly quoting my post you implied that your L2 argument was a direct rebuttal to my "weak science" proposition.
    I agree that L2 is not a good example of "bad" science and still contend that other better bad examples exist

Guilty as charged.

Altough ... as I explained in my previous post 'Time Travel' is impossible but 'Warp Speed' is , or relative - to yourself will be - and most important of all -

Never Trust
    A Nurse
    A Nun
    or a TimeTraveller

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
      Guilty as charged.

Altough ... as I exaplined above Time Travel is impossible but Warp Speed is - and most important of all -

Never Trust
      A Nurse
      A Nun
      or a TimeTraveller
      It's Deja Vu, all over again!

Comment

'Warp Speed' is , or relative - to yourself will be - and most important of all -
        You can go as fast as you like as long as you ignore reference frames, i.e people you visit will be older than you expect and no one would see you travelling faster than light and you could not outrun a beam of light. You can travel anywhere in the universe in your lifetime, if not the lifetime of the people you visit. There's a Lorenze factor (time or distance dilation factor) that might be interpreted as a warp factor, where warp factor 10 would be 99.5% of the speed of light. Although I don't think Star Trek used that.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          You can go as fast as you like as long as you ignore reference frames, i.e people you visit will be older than you expect and no one would see you travelling faster than light and you could not outrun a beam of light. You can travel anywhere in the universe in your lifetime, if not the lifetime of the people you visit. There's a Lorenze factor (time or distance dilation factor) that might be interpreted as a warp factor, where warp factor 10 would be 99.5% of the speed of light. Although I don't think Star Trek used that.

Interesting - but if I understand you correctly then you are viewing the Universe from the perspective of Einsteins Theory of Relativiy - the assumption being that nothing can exceed the speed of Light ...except - Inflation Theory (Cosmoology not Economics) as to how our Universe was created and evolved - suggests otherwise - and as it turned out - they were correct.
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 June 2009, 15:05.

Comment

Some clever people should make this instead of mucking about with particle accelerators
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Interesting - but if I understand you correctly then you are viewing the Universe from the perspective Einsteins Theory of Relativiy - the assumption being that nothing can exceed the speed of Light ...except - Inflation Theory (cosmosolgy not economics) as to how our Universe was created - suggests otherwise - and it turned out - they were correct.
              The constancy of the speed of light was a postulate of Einstein's special therory of relativity and it's the simplest interpretation we have. Other interpretations work, but don't change the physics and just make it harder. The speed of light may have been different in the past, though I'm not entirely sure we'd be equiped to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Some clever people should make this instead of mucking about with particle accelerators
                Is that the same idea as the 'Dark Energy' drive? The biggest problem is finding the 1.21 gigawatts and travelling at 88mph ...or, in this case, it's closer to 200 megabillion units of energy to be useful
                The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
                  Is that the same idea as the 'Dark Energy' drive? The biggest problem is finding the 1.21 gigawatts and travelling at 88mph ...or, in this case, it's closer to 200 megabillion units of energy to be useful

You could always harness a Gamma Ray or two ... that would provide power enough.

The Universe is the Ultimate Free Lunch !
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 June 2009, 15:30.

Comment

The constancy of the speed of light was a postulate of Einstein's special therory of relativity and it's the simplest interpretation we have. Other interpretations work, but don't change the physics and just make it harder. The speed of light may have been different in the past, though I'm not entirely sure we'd be equiped to notice.

Inflation describes a period when the concept of Light - as we understand - did not exist - it was a Universe with very different Cosmic Laws that defined it .

Einsteins' Laws are fine for this (ie in the year 2009) as the current Epoch of the Universe - but the Universe has changed a tad over the past 14.5 Billion years or so, more so in the very first fraction of a second of the Inflation period - soon we shall know a lot more about this period thanks to the ESA Planck Satelltie which will focus on the Cosmic background Microwave energy released by Big Bang - The First Light of the Universe - and the Origins of Our Universe which we live in.

Planck is in effect ,travelling back 14.5 Billion years- did somebody say you couldn't travel back in time ?

Planck is now approaching L2.

Soon - Oh soon the Light
                    Pass within and soothe this endless Night
                    Out Heart is open
                    Our Reason to be Here
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 17 June 2009, 15:34.

Comment

You could always harness a Gamma Ray or two ... that would provide power enough.

The Universe is the Ultimate Free Lunch !
                      At last ... a practical use for the Large Hadron Collider ... go searching for Gamma rays, but end up with a Vacuum Bubble ... oops!!
                      The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Working...
                      X