• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get a real job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a big part of the problem is that if your skills are solely technical, which is generally the case with contractors, the equivalent permie jobs are likely to be career dead ends and not generally well paid since they attract the kind of people that aren't very ambitious and just want a bit of "security". So for example if you're some kind of Siebel EIM guru, permie jobs are always going to be a let down. The decent permie Siebel jobs in the UK will likely be for programme managers and architects heading up a CRM team where most of the tech work is offshore or done by domestic/eu contractors. In general these jobs will need good people management skills and industry knowledge.

I guess a middle ground alternative is to work permie at a big SI, climb the ladder and then jump ship to a client in a more senior role.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      You're conning noone as long as you can do the job well when you get onsite.
      And how would you do that if you have invented work experience to get you through the door..? Wouldn't you look a bit silly if you had to consult your "Oracle for dummies" for even the simplest of questions?

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
        And how would you do that if you have invented work experience to get you through the door..? Wouldn't you look a bit silly if you had to consult your "Oracle for dummies" for even the simplest of questions?
        No, you read the 'For Dummies' book BEFORE you get on-site... HTH
        You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
          No, you read the 'For Dummies' book BEFORE you get on-site... HTH
          I am unaware of any oracle related skill that pays anything near decent enough for contractors that can be picked up by reading a book. It takes years of experience.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
            We are talking about getting a SAP job after years spent doing a similar role but using Siebel AND having done lots of home training on SAP.

Its hardly putting David Beckham into space is it?
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              I am unaware of any oracle related skill that pays anything near decent enough for contractors that can be picked up by reading a book. It takes years of experience.

HTH.
              Sorry, next time I will include <joke></joke> tags for those that miss the subtlety.
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                So again, no excuse, if you don't feel like living in England you don't have to explain anything to anybody.
                Quite so, Francko, but actually I do want to live in England, that is the problem. In former times I would be happy to go wherever the work was. Now I want to live in England, specifically, for personal reasons, and I'm finding it hard-to-impossible to find work here.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  That's worthy of an answer, but the answer is no, you're wrong.

The question remains, why for goodness' sake are there no Siebel jobs in England? Is is really that nobody uses it, whereas they do all over Europe?

And if that's true, how do I go about cross-training? I have in the past deliberately taken 2 separate contracts because they promised contact woth SAP; it didn't materialise. Now in this market, it's hard to see how to cross into different skills: it's hard enough finding work with the skills you do have, never mind working with skills that you don't have yet. here's my CV with 9 years good Siebel experience, I'm interested in your SAP BI Oracle DBA whatever post.... call me a pessimist, but I don't think so.

But I would love to hear advice on cross-training.....
                  Could you go on a SAP course?
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                    * Recent efforts from the government might also reduce the UK market in such a state (especially if they allow cheap indian contractors to replace local ones at half the price)
                    How long can the low rates be substained. Sure the cheap indian comes here thinking £200 a day is a lot of money. Then he realises the hell hole he has to live in when he wants to bring his wife over and the cost of food, a car, a holiday back home etc etc, then the rate is not so attractive.
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                      Could you go on a SAP course?
                      SAP course in Eastern Europe, were quite cheap.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X