• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get a real job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    1) Presumably you visited him after the trial......

It was a couple of years ago. I don't remember what he said. He is not the sort of person to get violent. However, if it was me, I'd still be doing time for killing the c...

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    2) Did the Adviser move on to become a Pimp..........
    Sounds more like a failed pimp.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I don't want to be negative but I really don't see getting any decent kind of job based on self-study.
      No, you need some fantasy roles on your cv too. Just cut a deal with an chum to give you a refference and replace a project on your cv you have done prev with Siebel to have used SAP. Jobs a good un. Nowt to lose.

This, by the way, is a big difference between contracting and permieland, imho. Any kind of BS is ok if it gets you a shout at a gig. Think like a window salesman and you will do fine.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Sounds more like a failed pimp.

You consider a JobCentre Employee LOWER than a Pimp!!!!!!

You consider ANYTHING lower than a PIMP!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          hi expat,

i think i'd be doing something like this: target clients who are currently using siebel and want to upgrade / integrate to oracle and you have to sell yourself as the person to help them with the change.

identify:
          1/ clients with very old siebel who need to bring their erp systems up to date and have decided to change to oracle
          2/ businesses using siebel who are merging with businesses using oracle.

for this you have to get some oracle experience on your cv. you need to do plenty of researching to get a decent understanding and pepper your patter with keywords. try and get on some oracle training courses.

can you target a specific industry or a particular module or process?
          eg if you have say, a combination of crm and pharmeceuticals in siebel on your cv it will help you identify the appropriate learning required and clients to research.

of course it doesn't have to be oracle but it makes sense.
          Er, Siebel is now part of Oracle and seems to be their main CRM offering. You mean Oracle BI or something? And how the F do you get that on your CV if you don't have it already?

As for Oracle itself, I have loads of Oracle on my CV, and several Oracle training courses including DBA. I already have 1 project of removing Siebel and replacing it with a customised solution. But when I plug "Oracle" and "UK" into the contract search, what I get is 3 kinds of results:
          • jobs I'm going for already
          • DBA roles (I'm not: a course does not make a DBA)
          • contract where I don't even understand the description

I have specific experience in Telecommunications and Pharma, not to mention banking. This doesn't get me much, because there's nothing there.

Oh well, I'll just keep looking. Of course I'll jump at any possibility of work using both my current skills and anything I'd like to have, but at the moment I'm having enough trouble finding any work, far less a good cross-training opportunity in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            No, you need some fantasy roles on your cv too. Just cut a deal with an chum to give you a refference and replace a project on your cv you have done prev with Siebel to have used SAP. Jobs a good un. Nowt to lose.

This, by the way, is a big difference between contracting and permieland, imho. Any kind of BS is ok if it gets you a shout at a gig. Think like a window salesman and you will do fine.
            I'm a contractor, not a conman

Comment

The problem is you are up against thousands prepared to act like conmen.

Comment

My contracts, if I can find them, are quite well paid, whereas the permie jobs I would fit are not.

And for sure, the problem is that you don't get taken on for work you can do, but for keywords that you have gathered in the last couple of jobs.
                My experience reflects both those statements exactly too.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You're conning noone as long as you can do the job well when you get onsite.
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I've got a real job: I'm a company director.

Comment

But that won't get me a job in England. What skills does one need then to get a job in England? Skills that one can study, or cross into?
                      True that if you are new to the area you cannot command the highest rate or perhaps have to accept a 6-month/1 year job as a permie. However as a long term contractor you certainly know how to see this in perspective.

So again, no excuse, if you don't feel like living in England you don't have to explain anything to anybody. I don't have to do this either.

Anyway there is something in England too...

http://www.jobserve.com/W3B831B4A9ED72ADA.jsjob
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X