• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What language scares you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    German scares me. Six different words for "the" that I've discovered so far.
    Pah, that's easy, you can just learn them. In Danish, depending on which part of the country you're in, and the age of the speaker you're talking to, there are 1, 2 or 3 genders, plus an individual definite article. Which gender a word belongs to can also change, here's one that can be in two genders and a separate definite article, 'the tent': teltet, telten, æ telt, and if you're transliterating, it can be different again...

threaded in "Vores lærer, som kommer fra England, taler perfekt dansk" mode.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Play "Ride of the Valkyries" at them.

It works a treat.
      I did while shouting "GET SOME, GET SOME" out of the window.

One thing that always stands out from my time there was going on a tourist trip of the DMZ in some dodgy old toyota van. The air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror was the stars and stripes. I think in 2001 the communist party was still in control of the country but nobody seemed to mind. I got the impression that they had the ability to forget and to forgive much more than people in Europe have.

Comment

I can't do tonal languages. I can hear the different sounds - I just can't make them. My wife is Vietnamese - she laughs when I try to speak it. But French, German, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, Serb, Russian, Greek, hold no fears. For those with complex grammar, I just get it wrong - I'm still understood. Finnish and Hungarian are trickier.

Well written German has an almost poetic form, due to its rhythm.

I only have fluency in English, German and French.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Arabic & Russian - they always sound angry
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I did while shouting "GET SOME, GET SOME" out of the window.

One thing that always stands out from my time there was going on a tourist trip of the DMZ in some dodgy old toyota van. The air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror was the stars and stripes. I think in 2001 the communist party was still in control of the country but nobody seemed to mind. I got the impression that they had the ability to forget and to forgive much more than people in Europe have.
            Two reasons for that I would guess. Firstly that most tourists to the DMZ are American and secondly that you were coming at it from the South. It's a different story (from my experience of a few months) in the north.

From your earlier post, I found Viet easier than I thought I would, possibly because of the French influences. I find other Asian Languages such as Laosian or Thai much harder. And Welsh just confounds me no matter how hard I try.
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Pah, that's easy, you can just learn them. In Danish, depending on which part of the country you're in, and the age of the speaker you're talking to, there are 1, 2 or 3 genders, plus an individual definite article. Which gender a word belongs to can also change, here's one that can be in two genders and a separate definite article, 'the tent': teltet, telten, æ telt, and if you're transliterating, it can be different again...

threaded in "Vores lærer, som kommer fra England, taler perfekt dansk" mode.
              It cannot be "telten". Using that is a sign of ignorance.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                Can I have some rødgrød med fløde then ?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  Have you met Threaded?

He's our "Something rotten in the state of Denmark".

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Have you met Threaded?

He's our "Something rotten in the state of Denmark".
                    And I am your "Something rotten in the state of Denmark - that is why I left"

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                      Can I have some rødgrød med fløde then ?
                      If you have red berries (strawberry, raspberry etc. ) - then sit on them - then apply cream - then you have Rødgrød med fløde. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X