• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What language scares you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Welsh!

Scrabble without the vowels?
    I bloody hate the Welsh language.

A little nine-year old Menelaus, going to a Welsh primary school for a year, complained to the teacher about having a 4:1 ratio of Welsh:English lessons and my never going to be speaking Welsh again.

Finally, getting so hacked off with this upstart little tulip (moi), she sent me off to the headteacher who let me sit in the corridor during Welsh lessons and read maths.

So - Wales is responsible for me being a geek. And I've never written back to say thanks!

Comment

I can code anything. Its the business logic and working conditions that get most people in investment banks....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I can code anything. Its the business logic and working conditions that get most people in investment banks....
        Yep.

I worked at DB in my last gig - was coding in SAS, SQL, S-Plus, Matlab, R -- pretty much anything I could get my hands on

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          German scares me. Six different words for "the" that I've discovered so far. A skirt is masculine, a tomato is feminine, but of course a girl is neither. And they put the second verb at the end of the sentence, just in front of the first verb which they also sometimes put at the end of the sentence, and that's assuming one of the verbs hasn't broken in two with the second half staying put and the first half going to, yes, the end of the sentence.
          Not only that
          a is pronounced aa
          e as a
          i as e
          v as f
          j as y
          and numbers are backwards
          e.g forty five is called five and forty
          geddit ?

Comment

Parcel Mouth
            Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Chinese. They even use different lettering

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Or do you think you can adapt to any?
                I'd never be able to adapt to Polish spelling
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Whitespace

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    That is impressive. A 200 byte compiler for a language that is as as powerful as any ever written (in the sense of what it can compute, not its efficiency) and consisting of only 8 primitive instructions.
                    200 bytes? That must be Microsoft bloatware. There's a 150 byte compiler, mentioned here
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      First few months in IB I was lost. People shouting at you because their equity swap never had a correct mature date, never had a clue what they were talking about.

They take the permies away for training, the contractors were just left to learn on the job. Some folk just never picked it up and when they learned you knew what was going on they just hassled you to do their job.

Comment

Working...
                      X