• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a job...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Nice try... but how many people would send out their CVs not knowing what agency is yours and who the hell are you if you don't send websites and company references ...
    A lot. People are getting desperate.

HTH
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Plunder the available job ads to find out what is in vogue that most closely matches your skills, then post a bogus job ad on jobserve or linked in and get some cvs to see what the competition is doing. Then create a masterpiece of bulltulip cv and send it into the job ads.
      You may have missed your calling as an agent.

Comment

FFS reskill on the bench and get a gig that pays if you can sit on your arse for 6 months. Get into SAP, Cloud computing,BPM,MS Dynamics, whatever.
        Get some bar work to prevent warchest depletion. Train train train. Now!
        Don't want to be a pessimist but I don't think you can train yourself in SAP at home and then get contracts in it. I am doing what I can, reading up on related areas to my existing skill area, so as not to get tripped up by "must also have xxxxx" that know I can do but don't have on my squeaky-clean 100% honest (even self-deprecating) CV.

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
          You may have missed your calling as an agent.
          Utter bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Don't want to be a pessimist but I don't think you can train yourself in SAP at home and then get contracts in it. I am doing what I can, reading up on related areas to my existing skill area, so as not to get tripped up by "must also have xxxxx" that know I can do but don't have on my squeaky-clean 100% honest (even self-deprecating) CV.
            A squeaky clean CV ... you are one of the few. I do respect that. My CV is virtually fact as well.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/saptraining/videos/2/

SAPCOOKBOOK

For example. If you are a code monkey, do some of the free brainbench tests. When you pass you can put them on your CV as industry recognised qualifications.

Check the job ads, take a sample of say 20 and list all of the buzzwords. Then make darn sure your CV lists them. If your CV says working knowledge of PHP you will come up in a pimps search for PHP. ClientCo will know you are not an expert, but can talk around the subject pretty well. If the gig needs someone with solid c sharp and any php a bonus, your cv is nearer the top of the pile.

Also, make a list of everyone you ever worked or contracted for. Then expand this list to everyone they know. Then call them up. This is a good couple of weeks work that could yield something.

Are there any networking breakfasts in your area. Get a suit on and go to one and do a powerpoint presentation of you companies skills and offerings. A few local gigs tinkering with firewalls could provide some much needed cash.

Contact the local college to see if you can teach, or assist in teaching. Marking homework for example, lending a hand in workshops.

Bung an ad in the local rag offering IT Training, in your field of expertise.

Just a few of the many things you could do to survive the downturn.

Good luck mate. All the best.

Comment

Check the job ads, take a sample of say 20 and list all of the buzzwords. Then make darn sure your CV lists them. If your CV says working knowledge of PHP you will come up in a pimps search for PHP. ClientCo will know you are not an expert, but can talk around the subject pretty well. If the gig needs someone with solid c sharp and any php a bonus, your cv is nearer the top of the pile.
              Thanks for all the effort and thought.

That is a great point that you have there. There are contracts out there, getting past the gatekeepers is the big problem ISTM. I have to confess that my CV is a bit of a hangover from the good times, when I trimmed it a bit to avoid too many calls for non-core skills. Now the point is to avoid falling at the first hurdle: as you say, not to blag a core skill that I don't have, but to come up on the searches so that I at least get to the people who are able to decide whether what I have is good enough.

As I said, that's what I'm concentrating on: reading up on the peripheral skills linked to my core skills, that may be in the "nice to have" list that will decide who goes through.

Comment

The good thing about going permie is, if you use an agent, they will try to get you as much as possible. As a contractor, they try to get you as little as possible. It would be so nice to like the b@stards for a change

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

.. If your CV says working knowledge of PHP you will come up in a pimps search for PHP. ClientCo will know you are not an expert, but can talk around the subject pretty well. If the gig needs someone with solid c sharp and any php a bonus, your cv is nearer the top of the pile..
                  But the piles these days must be pretty high. I'd say if your CV doesn't show that you've recently ate slept and breathed every one of the essential skills *and* (at some time in the last year or two) all the desirable skills, you'll have no chance.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Good luck Expat.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      Good luck Expat.

Milan.
                      Hmm, know of any Siebel contracts in the Czech Republic?

Comment

Working...
                      X