• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My company have just employed The Hay group to define job roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience, if they bring in 'HR' people, they are looking to

* restructure
    * interview everyone for the (lesser number of) new jobs (possibly at lower rates)
    * make redundant the people whose old jobs no longer exist

These people are never brought in to create new jobs or make your daily chores less stressful while they rearrange job roles. They are there to cut costs for the one paying their fee.
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

They did it at British Gas back in the 90s. It's a way of standardising job roles/responsibilities/grades. However, one of the consultants working on it, told me that he could write a job description for any job, and depending on certain key words, define the grade it would end up on.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
        nope was a contractor, now permie.
        Let me guess, you switched for the greater job security right?
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          They did it at British Gas back in the 90s. It's a way of standardising job roles/responsibilities/grades. However, one of the consultants working on it, told me that he could write a job description for any job, and depending on certain key words, define the grade it would end up on.
          Yes, that's pretty much correct. I went through such a process when employed years ago at ICI who used Hay grades. Often, if you had a really good manager (I never did) they would rewrite your job description to give you a grade or two pay increase. It never happened to me though, which is partly why I left as my face didn't fit the corporate mold.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            ...and this would be of interest to a CONTRACTORS forum for why, exactly?
            Although we don't consider ourselves employee's of ClientCo - that doesn't stop ClientCo from viewing us a such - just a flexible (i.e. sackable) employee.

So if their brief is to look at all the possible types of resources, then yes, it could affect contractors.

Comment

Working...
            X