• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do your mates know how much you earn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of the friends I had at school, and at university. One has a phd in bioinformatics and earns thrupence a week. One is a permie in the same place he was 20 years ago, and has debts, but it staying afloat. Another went contracting, founded a consultancy (which is doing well), had a breakdown (lived of the consultancy profits ), and is now back as CEO.

They know I earn/get paid more than they do. But who cares? I'm likely to buy the first round, but that's about it. Except for the phd guy, who I've "lent" thousands over the years, never expecting to get it back. He doesn't owe me either.

We had the same chances, same opportunities. Mine just turned out better. My wife is better looking too.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Of the friends I had at school, and at university. One has a phd in bioinformatics and earns thrupence a week. One is a permie in the same place he was 20 years ago, and has debts, but it staying afloat. Another went contracting, founded a consultancy (which is doing well), had a breakdown (lived of the consultancy profits ), and is now back as CEO.

They know I earn/get paid more than they do. But who cares? I'm likely to buy the first round, but that's about it. Except for the phd guy, who I've "lent" thousands over the years, never expecting to get it back. He doesn't owe me either.

We had the same chances, same opportunities. Mine just turned out better. My wife is better looking too.
      It may all change and the academics will end up earning more while the contractors earn less. Who knows? Who cares as long as life is fun?

Mind you, I wouldn't marry a minger in a million years.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        yer I've seen that happening a lot, must be a coincidence ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          It may all change and the academics
          most of them are very lazy, only a few geniuses deserve to be paid more

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            most of them are very lazy, only a few geniuses deserve to be paid more
            us
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I don't tell my mates what I make (except other contractors), but they're mainly managerial types who know what consultants charge, and the risks. Plus it's not far from what they make either.

Anyway, count no man lucky until his life is over*

*Sophocles**

**except for Ritter, who thought it well below the usual standard and cut it out of his early c19th edition, the spoilsport.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                A mate was very shocked when I told her my holiday was going to cost over £6000.
                £4000 in lost revenue and £2000 on the holiday.

She'd be even more shocked at the lost revenue from 3 months on the bench...
                That's nothing compared to the million of dollars that SKA is losing out on opportunities for decades already.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                  That's nothing compared to the million of dollars that SKA is losing out on opportunities for decades already.

Comment

Only really shared my rate with other contractors I know. I was asked outright after spending about 2 minutes talking to someone at university, who apparently could not stand contractors, so I gave myself a fat raise and told him. In fact it appears like most people there do not like contractors so I keep my mouth shut.

Comment

My ex-wife wanted to know to the penny how much I was earning. My most recent ex- didn't give a toss.

She was aware that I wasn't in debt but other than that really didn't give two hoots; she was grateful (I think) that I was the one putting my hand in my pocket as an unconscious reflex and when she paid for something I was obsequious in my gratitude (not patronising, I genuinely meant it).

I miss you, X.

Comment

Working...
                      X