• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do your mates know how much you earn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Did he like a pint and eat only curry and pepperami?

hey less of the 'wise', cheeky chops

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Think most of my close mates have a good idea, but I am quick to let them know about months on the bench to qualify it. Most of them are doing well also but a couple haven't really moved on salary wise which means I defo don't talk about it.
      After I had been contracting a few years I was able to afford some flash cars which I really wanted, so I bought them, or course a few years later I was back in much more meagre transport as I hit a career downturn (sorry son everything you know from the last 12 years is now worthless - eeek !)
      One chap is a bit full of himself, 'director' of a used car wholesaler and loves to pretend he is lord of the place, going on about hols etc. I'm not impressed but largely because another close mate who is probably on 20-25 is usually there. Clearly, his own insecurity means he has to talk himself up and that goes for contractors who start thinking they are a bit special.
      What I find is that as I start to earn a bit more, I am aware of people who are in business for real and making some real dough, not this market controlled, pseudo entrepreneur, salary+ stuff we have coming in when things are going good.
      We are small beer, even if we compare ourselves to average wages and peers to get an ego boost.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        WHS

I usually ride what looks like a ratty old bike to clients, and if I'm forced to drive I have an ancient battle scared car I keep especially for the task.
        Whilst on my first contract it was pointed out to me by another contractor that there were two types of contractor on site. Those who paid off thier mortgages, stood the team a round in the pub at lunch and were generally a decent bunch. Then there were those who drove Astons.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

No - and the cheeky bastards even had the gaul to ask if my watch was a fake
          Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
          I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Working...
          X