• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UFOs and Aliens corner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Thank you Mr Churchill, since my physics isn't that comprehensive.

Hence, I'll revise my theory and say that the best chances of sending a signal outside the local solar system, and off in to space, would be to flood the whole wavelength of the EMS, in order to reach as many eyes as possible.

Thanks !
    Actually, no.

Linky
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Actually, no.

Linky
      Good find HAB!

Comment

"If the intelligence of these creatures were sufficiently superior to ours, they might choose to have little, if any, contact with us."

Brookings Institution report on extraterrestrial life. Quoted in New York Times, December 15, 1960.

Now then - dont take this personally Folks !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          "If the intelligence of these creatures were sufficiently superior to ours, they might choose to have little, if any, contact with us."

Brookings Institution report on extraterrestrial life. Quoted in New York Times, December 15, 1960.

Now then - dont take this personally Folks !
          Except to say, "Will you children turn the noise down? You are pumping out your rubbish up and down the whole EM spectrum. We can hear you for a hundred lightyears all around. SHUT UP! "
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Except to say, "Will you children turn the noise down? You are pumping out your rubbish up and down the whole EM spectrum. We can hear you for a hundred lightyears all around. SHUT UP! "
            Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Space is a vacuum, so the dynamics of air don't matter.
              Vacuum ?

Wot - no Dark Matter ?

Blimey !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                Vacuum ?

Wot - no Dark Matter ?

Blimey !
                ~1 atom of hydrogen per cubic centimetre...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  ~1 atom of hydrogen per cubic centimetre...
                  That's loads...
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Not to mention the odd bit of CMB - you know the old Cosmic Microwave BackGround Radiation - old as the hills that is.

Much older - about 14.5 Billion years or so -sorry if youre the non-Gaussianity type.

Time- is not what you think it is.
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 May 2009, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      I'd go for LIGHT.

It's about the fastest thing available
                      Not necessarily.

Morrison's are selling "High velocity torches". It was a straightforward torch with an on/off button and nothing else.

So it must be the light coming from it that is "High velocity". Better than your rubbish "Low velocity" light.
                      If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X