• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you be discriminated against because of experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Permy or Contract role?

There is no discrimination legislation for business to business contracts.

If it's a permy role - wrong forum.
    Well actually it's not as straight forward as that. The legislation uses the term "worker". That does not equate to "employee".

If the OP was of non british origin and the propspective user said "sorry mate no ethnics" would you still hold the same view?

Comment

Technically your discriminated on every (both good and bad) time you apply for a contract. How else do you think people choose who they want.

Comment

I think it is a case of disguised ageism.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          I think it is a case of disguised ageism.
          Result. I think that means I'm only 95% as old as I thought I was. I can keep the 5% back for extra years later.

Comment

IME when you get knobbish stipulations like that they are not worth working for. I suspect the manager will prolly be 28 (21 out of uni + 7 years experience) with a huge inferiority complex.

Think about it. You need a contractwhore to come in and do a job, and you have 6 cvs all around the same day rate all equally qualified, but one has yards more experience. It'd kind of be rude not to give him at least an interview.

UNLESS of course this manager is a "hands on" type and likes to be the go to guy on all technical matters.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              As it is for the beeb, I say, thank your lucky stars and run like fck

not for worldwide by any chance ?
              Interested to know why you say this.

I've considered working at the Beeb before and have good contacts there.
              For those who've contracted there, why was it a bad experience? Inefficient? Public Sector-esque? PC?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                IME when you get knobbish stipulations like that they are not worth working for. I suspect the manager will prolly be 28 (21 out of uni + 7 years experience) with a huge inferiority complex.

Think about it. You need a contractwhore to come in and do a job, and you have 6 cvs all around the same day rate all equally qualified, but one has yards more experience. It'd kind of be rude not to give him at least an interview.

UNLESS of course this manager is a "hands on" type and likes to be the go to guy on all technical matters.
                You know what? That totally makes sense. I've worked with the type before, but thankfully not someone who was my boss.

The only other thing that makes sense to me is that maybe they are super keen on agile and feel that older types like me are adept enough to make the change (waterfall -> agile is a pretty big leap).

However, you would think that my 8 years of experience in agile would tell you that I can think in new ways, but we all know that most recruiters are not smart enough to really understand most of the job specs they advertise.

Comment

Originally posted by gdm View Post
                  However, you would think that my 8 years of experience in agile would tell you that I can think in new ways, but we all know that most recruiters are not smart enough to really understand most of the job specs they advertise.
                  completely incompetent arses
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    completely incompetent arses
                    ....what he said.

Comment

Working...
                    X