• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can you be discriminated against because of experience?"

Collapse

• gdm
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    completely incompetent arses
    ....what he said.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by gdm View Post
    However, you would think that my 8 years of experience in agile would tell you that I can think in new ways, but we all know that most recruiters are not smart enough to really understand most of the job specs they advertise.
    completely incompetent arses

Leave a comment:

• gdm
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    IME when you get knobbish stipulations like that they are not worth working for. I suspect the manager will prolly be 28 (21 out of uni + 7 years experience) with a huge inferiority complex.

Think about it. You need a contractwhore to come in and do a job, and you have 6 cvs all around the same day rate all equally qualified, but one has yards more experience. It'd kind of be rude not to give him at least an interview.

UNLESS of course this manager is a "hands on" type and likes to be the go to guy on all technical matters.
    You know what? That totally makes sense. I've worked with the type before, but thankfully not someone who was my boss.

The only other thing that makes sense to me is that maybe they are super keen on agile and feel that older types like me are adept enough to make the change (waterfall -> agile is a pretty big leap).

However, you would think that my 8 years of experience in agile would tell you that I can think in new ways, but we all know that most recruiters are not smart enough to really understand most of the job specs they advertise.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    As it is for the beeb, I say, thank your lucky stars and run like fck

not for worldwide by any chance ?
    Interested to know why you say this.

I've considered working at the Beeb before and have good contacts there.
    For those who've contracted there, why was it a bad experience? Inefficient? Public Sector-esque? PC?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    IME when you get knobbish stipulations like that they are not worth working for. I suspect the manager will prolly be 28 (21 out of uni + 7 years experience) with a huge inferiority complex.

Think about it. You need a contractwhore to come in and do a job, and you have 6 cvs all around the same day rate all equally qualified, but one has yards more experience. It'd kind of be rude not to give him at least an interview.

UNLESS of course this manager is a "hands on" type and likes to be the go to guy on all technical matters.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I think it is a case of disguised ageism.
    Result. I think that means I'm only 95% as old as I thought I was. I can keep the 5% back for extra years later.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I think it is a case of disguised ageism.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Technically your discriminated on every (both good and bad) time you apply for a contract. How else do you think people choose who they want.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Permy or Contract role?

There is no discrimination legislation for business to business contracts.

If it's a permy role - wrong forum.
    Well actually it's not as straight forward as that. The legislation uses the term "worker". That does not equate to "employee".

If the OP was of non british origin and the propspective user said "sorry mate no ethnics" would you still hold the same view?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Permy or Contract role?

There is no discrimination legislation for business to business contracts.

If it's a permy role - wrong forum.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    ....that the relevant requirements could never be met by a one legged muslim irish lesbian ....

only

This is the BBC after all.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by gdm View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've looked as well and the legislation doesn't mention a thing about experience, just age. I suppose it would be tough to prove.

Just annoying as f*** that a role I am qualified and happy to do is out of my reach because of some arbitrary limitation set by a tax-funded body....

Heck I'm only 36, I suppose this will only get worse from here on out!
    Thje more beliigernt amongst us might submit a slighlty different - but still accurate CV that magically lost a few years of experience and age.

Leave a comment:

• gdm
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've looked as well and the legislation doesn't mention a thing about experience, just age. I suppose it would be tough to prove.

Just annoying as f*** that a role I am qualified and happy to do is out of my reach because of some arbitrary limitation set by a tax-funded body....

Heck I'm only 36, I suppose this will only get worse from here on out!

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    The beeb have a whole website/area dedicated to freelancers going either direct or via an agency. Have you looked at the information there regarding policies etc?

Would like to think a public corporation funded by mandatory license fees has some kind of equal opportunities / tendering policy.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Could you apply through another agency with a suitably doctored CV showing only 6.5 years experience?

P.S. sounds like age discrimination to me but impossible to prove. According to a Despatches documentary I saw "too much experience / too senior / over qualified" are all code words for "too old"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X