• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT role hierarchy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Which is higher up the tree - Win sysadmin or UNIX sysadmin?
    Oh I would say UNIX, you cannot right click a 'ps -ef'

Comment

At last clientco, it was:

Traders
      Managers
      Business Analysts
      Programmers
      Support

The business analysts were used as a buffer between the traders and programmers so the two never met, as techies were seen as the lowest of the low and not worthy of conversation.

Support staff and programmers were more or less equal as we were working on a legacy system that hardly needed any programming
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 19 April 2009, 23:18.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        At last clientco, it was:

Traders
        Managers
        Business Analysts
        Programmers
        Support
        Let me translate for you ...

Crunts
        Wanklers
        Toosers
        Nerds
        Numpties

The only enlightened position is the self-employed director.

Comment

The correct hierarchy is

Me
          |
          |
          |
          V
          Everyone else

The trouble with support is that that is where they put people who can't do anything else. So the people in support are rubbish, so they're rubbish at their job, so support is seen as a place to dump rubbish. Rinse and repeat.

I've met a few support people who had phenomenal problem solving skills, but the status accorded them was so low, they went on to do something else.

You get the same with off-shore developers. Developer is seen as the lowest job. So anyone who's any good will go into management or business analysis. So developers are crap. So it's the lowest job...

It's strange that technical ability is so unvalued in our society. ( Not really, when you consider that non-technical people are running it ).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            .......totally meaningless willy waving.....
            Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            I really like this phrase - I shall be using it a lot from now on
            I quite like the thought that there is some other form of Willy Waving that isn't pointless/meaningless!

Comment

I'm in support at the moment and I do feel a bit ashamed about that term... thing is I earn more than most developers, have a cushier job working from home but technically I do still work in support.

The cash is the main thing.

That's the only hierarchy that counts.

Comment

Working...
              X