• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets don't do VAT receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner at the Dog Inn in Over Peover is a jolly experience.

Additionally, the receipts labelled "Dog Inn" will give your accountant a wry smile as he processes your books.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You shop at Tesco?
      I have done some work there.....

Comment

errrr send the butler next time and make sure you suitably punish him for not offering previously..
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Never tried in super markets but in the end gave up asking for a VAT receipt in restaurants. If I had had to listen one more time to somebody telling me it was a VAT receipt because it has a VAT number on it I would have bashed them. Use flat rate or don't bother with VAT registration.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I wouldn't worry about a VAT receipt unless...

Under the flat rate scheme you are required to keep a record of purchases and sales, but you don't have to analyse the gross, VAT and net separately. I would therefore say that you don't need a VAT receipt as long as you keep whatever receipt they provide that shows the gross expenditure.

If your accountant asks, refer him to HMRC Reference: Notice 733 (March 2007) Flat Rate Scheme for Small Businesses, para 7.8.

The only caveat I would throw in there is to remember that if you are at risk of getting to a turnover level where you are no longer eligible for the flat rate scheme, you may want to have the proper VAT receipts. That being said, for the amounts involved, is it really worth the hassle?

Comment

Originally posted by Friendly Accountant View Post
              Under the flat rate scheme you are required to keep a record of purchases and sales, but you don't have to analyse the gross, VAT and net separately. I would therefore say that you don't need a VAT receipt as long as you keep whatever receipt they provide that shows the gross expenditure.

If your accountant asks, refer him to HMRC Reference: Notice 733 (March 2007) Flat Rate Scheme for Small Businesses, para 7.8.

The only caveat I would throw in there is to remember that if you are at risk of getting to a turnover level where you are no longer eligible for the flat rate scheme, you may want to have the proper VAT receipts. That being said, for the amounts involved, is it really worth the hassle?
              If I read and understood that, all the people who can't a*sed to get VAT receipts as they are on FRS may one day need them should they go over the threshold.

A shot in the arm for my accountant / I completely misread what you put and am a moron. (Delete as appopriate)
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                If I read and understood that, all the people who can't a*sed to get VAT receipts as they are on FRS may one day need them should they go over the threshold.

A shot in the arm for my accountant / I completely misread what you put and am a moron. (Delete as appopriate)
                Yeah, the likelyhood is in the current climate a contractor is going to turn over more than £150,000.

Comment

You were lucky you were only kept waiting for 20 minutes!

There is a strict time limit on issuing VAT invoices. You must normally issue a VAT invoice (to a VAT-registered customer) within 30 days of the date you supply the goods or services

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Yeah, the likelyhood is in the current climate a contractor is going to turn over more than £150,000.

You see, I am over the threshold.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

At the moment, probably not.

But if you work your nuts off and do 48 weeks per year, your rate only needs to be £625 per day to exceed that threshold.

There are plenty in the City of London that get more than that. Especially Project Managers.

Comment

Working...
                      X