• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Supermarkets don't do VAT receipts"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by PayMatters View Post
    Not as big a smile as when it used to be called The Gay Dog!
    I heard that too! Which means someone changed the name thinking it was an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• PayMatters
    replied
    Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
    Dinner at the Dog Inn in Over Peover is a jolly experience.

Additionally, the receipts labelled "Dog Inn" will give your accountant a wry smile as he processes your books.
    Not as big a smile as when it used to be called The Gay Dog Inn!
    Last edited by PayMatters; 18 April 2009, 10:03. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Friendly Accountant View Post
    I think the limit before you have to leave the scheme is £225k, so go ahead Gonzo, work your nuts off!!
    Point taken.

Annual turnover of £225k is £937.50 per day. I can count on the fingers of one hand the people I know on that sort of money. They do exist (although none of them work 240 days every year).

What I wanted to get across though was that a rate that was too high to be on the flat rate VAT scheme was not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Now how do I lay my hands on a taxi reciept book
    any tips ?
    You can buy them at Rymans.

Shhh. I didn't tell you that.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    If one is really so concerned about claiming small change then buy a taxi receipt book and claim the odd fare. So much simpler me thinks.
    Now how do I lay my hands on a taxi reciept book
    any tips ?

Leave a comment:

• Friendly Accountant
    replied
    Limit

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    At the moment, probably not.

But if you work your nuts off and do 48 weeks per year, your rate only needs to be £625 per day to exceed that threshold.

There are plenty in the City of London that get more than that. Especially Project Managers.
    I think the limit before you have to leave the scheme is £225k, so go ahead Gonzo, work your nuts off!!

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

But if you work your nuts off and do 48 weeks per year, your rate only needs to be £625 per day to exceed that threshold.

There are plenty in the City of London that get more than that. Especially Project Managers.
    Fine, but would such a high earning person working their balls off really be worrying about the vat on a pot noodle and 6 pack from the Coop.

If one is really so concerned about claiming small change then buy a taxi receipt book and claim the odd fare. So much simpler me thinks.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yeah, the likelyhood is in the current climate a contractor is going to turn over more than £150,000.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yeah, the likelyhood is in the current climate a contractor is going to turn over more than £150,000.

You see, I am over the threshold.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    You were lucky you were only kept waiting for 20 minutes!

There is a strict time limit on issuing VAT invoices. You must normally issue a VAT invoice (to a VAT-registered customer) within 30 days of the date you supply the goods or services

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    If I read and understood that, all the people who can't a*sed to get VAT receipts as they are on FRS may one day need them should they go over the threshold.

A shot in the arm for my accountant / I completely misread what you put and am a moron. (Delete as appopriate)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Friendly Accountant View Post
    Under the flat rate scheme you are required to keep a record of purchases and sales, but you don't have to analyse the gross, VAT and net separately. I would therefore say that you don't need a VAT receipt as long as you keep whatever receipt they provide that shows the gross expenditure.

If your accountant asks, refer him to HMRC Reference: Notice 733 (March 2007) Flat Rate Scheme for Small Businesses, para 7.8.

The only caveat I would throw in there is to remember that if you are at risk of getting to a turnover level where you are no longer eligible for the flat rate scheme, you may want to have the proper VAT receipts. That being said, for the amounts involved, is it really worth the hassle?
    If I read and understood that, all the people who can't a*sed to get VAT receipts as they are on FRS may one day need them should they go over the threshold.

A shot in the arm for my accountant / I completely misread what you put and am a moron. (Delete as appopriate)

Leave a comment:

• Friendly Accountant
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about a VAT receipt unless...

Under the flat rate scheme you are required to keep a record of purchases and sales, but you don't have to analyse the gross, VAT and net separately. I would therefore say that you don't need a VAT receipt as long as you keep whatever receipt they provide that shows the gross expenditure.

If your accountant asks, refer him to HMRC Reference: Notice 733 (March 2007) Flat Rate Scheme for Small Businesses, para 7.8.

The only caveat I would throw in there is to remember that if you are at risk of getting to a turnover level where you are no longer eligible for the flat rate scheme, you may want to have the proper VAT receipts. That being said, for the amounts involved, is it really worth the hassle?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Never tried in super markets but in the end gave up asking for a VAT receipt in restaurants. If I had had to listen one more time to somebody telling me it was a VAT receipt because it has a VAT number on it I would have bashed them. Use flat rate or don't bother with VAT registration.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    errrr send the butler next time and make sure you suitably punish him for not offering previously..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X