• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Privacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    OK, we will just make it optional for the government to have personal details .

So you do an when you end up in a coma the doctors have to guess your medical history and the pedophile down the road gets to scrub his and gets a job at the local school.

Of course information should be voluntary as you say.
    Well they've managed to cope without all encompassing linked databases up to now......

Ok there have been errors, but since when have large databases been error free so why should the situation be appreciably better?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Well they've managed to cope without all encompassing linked databases up to now......

Ok there have been errors, but since when have large databases been error free so why should the situation be appreciably better?
      The Police have had a linked up database of sorts for nearly 25 years, can you tell me how many times information has been directly leaked from that.

Can you tell me how many times because information is not stored centrally that people have had to take memory sticks around with them and they have been lost, how many times paper records have been lost?

That is the core evidence and it weighs massively for the position I have.

Comment

The Police have had a linked up database of sorts for nearly 25 years, can you tell me how many times information has been directly leaked from that.

Can you tell me how many times because information is not stored centrally that people have had to take memory sticks around with them and they have been lost, how many times paper records have been lost?

That is the core evidence and it weighs massively for the position I have.
        What's to stop the memory sticks and paper records containing essentially everything once the databases are fully linked?

The data security will be no better and in all probability far worse since so many more people will have access.

Plus of course taking the cynical "Big Brother" view the capacity for abuse by the Official services is massively increased as soon as they are all linked.

Comment

Well, it seems it happens - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...d-1262662.html
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            What's to stop the memory sticks and paper records containing essentially everything once the databases are fully linked?

The data security will be no better and in all probability far worse since so many more people will have access.

Plus of course taking the cynical "Big Brother" view the capacity for abuse by the Official services is massively increased as soon as they are all linked.

When unless you can type "select * from user" into the client software then it is more safe than what is currently happening. All of these DBs have very tight audit trails and know that anyone looking up data outwith their domain is monitored.

Doctors surgeries will be backing up the databases on tapes and leaving them on top of the server in an unlocked room with a single window. I know this happens now.

I never understand why people who post on internet forums get so wound up about privacy. snaw has nearly 4000 posts and I bet there are massive amounts of personal data there and I would doubt this is the only forum he posts on.

As I have previously said the article from the OP is a pile of mince, a youth worker who fears that she would never get a job if her 'previous' was known to her prospective employers when this will be known to them anyway. It mearly is a tool by the papers to get people wound up when there is very little harm to be had.

Comment

I never understand why people who post on internet forums get so wound up about privacy. snaw has nearly 4000 posts and I bet there are massive amounts of personal data there and I would doubt this is the only forum he posts on.
              Again, you completely miss the point, 4000 posts I've voluntarily put up. You can by all means trawl through them and construe whatever you want. As long as you're not working for the government, and trying to add it to my 'profile'. It's called privacy. Or lack of.

I don't understand you, you seem to be somewhat lacking in certain empathetic characteristics, and incapable of grasping a fairly simple concept.

It's unacceptable to me in a free society that my government, in whom I have no trust whatsoever to keep my data private, thinks it's acceptable to collect information on me via various methods. That's not my idea of democracy, or freedom. Our forebears earned that for us, and they're just taking it away without even a by your leave. It absolutely infuriates me, more than any other issue in our country. In case you hadn't noticed.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Again, you completely miss the point, 4000 posts I've voluntarily put up. You can by all means trawl through them and construe whatever you want. As long as you're not working for the government, and trying to add it to my 'profile'. It's called privacy. Or lack of.

I don't understand you, you seem to be somewhat lacking in certain empathetic characteristics, and incapable of grasping a fairly simple concept.

It's unacceptable to me in a free society that my government, in whom I have no trust whatsoever to keep my data private, thinks it's acceptable to collect information on me via various methods. That's not my idea of democracy, or freedom. Our forebears earned that for us, and they're just taking it away without even a by your leave. It absolutely infuriates me, more than any other issue in our country. In case you hadn't noticed.
                Give me an example of where information held by the state infringes on your freedom?

Comment

Snaw I have just read about 40 of your posts and can now see that you live in London, you are from the West Coast of Scotland, have a daughter...

I could probably find yer name if I read the other 3500 ones.

You are quite happy to tell the world yer life story.

You do not come across as someone that is really wound up about privacy until it is a political point.

Comment

Snaw I have just read about 40 of your posts and can now see that you live in London, you are from the West Coast of Scotland, have a daughter...

You do not come across as someone that is really wound up about privacy until it is a political point.
                    I bet you dont know why he's called Snaw though.
                    But I do - Jacqui Smith
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You're missing the point - Slip-ups aside, whatever Snaw or anyone reveals about themselves in a forum is their choice.

This Government database would be set up whether you liked it or not, and you wouldn't know most of the details held about yourself to be able to check its accuracy.
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 7 April 2009, 06:51.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X