• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Privacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    To be honest your NHS details will be safer on a central computer system. If I really wanted anyones medical details I would just ask you to recommend a doctors surgery then break in to the first one you tell me at night or easier say I am a a student and apply for a summer job 'doing the records', nearly every surgery has temp admin staff doing paper work.
    Unfortunately people keeping & using these databases can't seem to differentiate between these two types of theft, and see nothing morally wrong with 'stealing' the records from the database.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I worked on the PNC and SCRO system for a long time, there is not one point where someone got into it and has used the information against any person.
      No, I don't think specific targetting of individuals is a major threat. But anyone wishing to commit identity theft must feel like they've been given the keys to the sweet shop.
      If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

I worked on the PNC and SCRO system for a long time, there is not one point where someone got into it and has used the information against any person.

The comment..

..her police details are already on a computer probably have been for 30 years. If she works with Children then any prospective employers will have full disclosure rights to this information for any job and she will know this.

If I am interviewing for a youth worker what route would I try to get her police record? Get her to fill in a disclosure form and send if off or try to hack a central server?

I doubt this "middle-aged school governor and senior youth worker" exists.

It's just fear mongering aimed at concerned people who have half a brain.
        I'm re-assured now then.

Actually no, I'm mad as hell - this issue, is symbolic of the bigger picture, namely that we increasingly live in a country where our gevernments is continuously erroding our civil liberties, and right to privacy, piece by piece. We're surveyed by how many CCTV cameras, our emails, our phone calls, ffs even our social website interaction is being recorded and kept on file. We're in fck knows how many databases, and I'm supposed to take your word that it'll never get abused? Let's forget lost for a second.

So all those guys a few weeks ago that were secretly vetted for any 'union' activity etc. That was an aberattion or a prediction of the future?

I didn't fckin ask for, nor want this. In fact, I'd happily take my chances on a few more tubes and buses getting blown up than this fckin level of scrutiny into my private life. And no I've nothing to hide, but so fckin what?

/rant over.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
          No, I don't think specific targetting of individuals is a major threat. But anyone wishing to commit identity theft must feel like they've been given the keys to the sweet shop.
          How is anyone going to commit identify theft with a police record or an NHS record?

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            I'm re-assured now then.

Actually no, I'm mad as hell - this issue, is symbolic of the bigger picture, namely that we increasingly live in a country where our gevernments is continuously erroding our civil liberties, and right to privacy, piece by piece. We're surveyed by how many CCTV cameras, our emails, our phone calls, ffs even our social website interaction is being recorded and kept on file. We're in fck knows how many databases, and I'm supposed to take your word that it'll never get abused? Let's forget lost for a second.

So all those guys a few weeks ago that were secretly vetted for any 'union' activity etc. That was an aberattion or a prediction of the future?

I didn't fckin ask for, nor want this. In fact, I'd happily take my chances on a few more tubes and buses getting blown up than this fckin level of scrutiny into my private life. And no I've nothing to hide, but so fckin what?

/rant over.
            How many times have you sent out your CV in the last 10 years? honest answer please?

Comment

How many times have you sent out your CV in the last 10 years? honest answer please?
              And your point is what?

Oh wait, you're equating an agency database with government databases.

Here's a thing - I volunteered my CV to those agencies. I never asked, nor wanted the governemnt to have a record of, well pretty much everything in my life really ...

BTW Newsflash, it's not identity theft I'm worried about.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

How is anyone going to commit identify theft with a police record or an NHS record?
                With a single record, probably quite hard but it's a good place to start if you're so inclined.

I'm more worried about my NHS data being sold to the insurance industry (for example). They already sell the DVLA details, what's to stop the government from changing the rules to sell whatever data they like?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

IIRC the PNC has very strict access rules. I doubt the NHS database will be help to the same standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    With a single record, probably quite hard but it's a good place to start if you're so inclined.

I'm more worried about my NHS data being sold to the insurance industry (for example). They already sell the DVLA details, what's to stop the government from changing the rules to sell whatever data they like?
                    Nothing at all sadly.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    IIRC the PNC has very strict access rules. I doubt the NHS database will be help to the same standard.
                    Not a chance and there will be many more unsecured access points with loads more people with "valid" reasons to access the data.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                      And your point is what?

Oh wait, you're equating an agency database with government databases.

Here's a thing - I volunteered my CV to those agencies. I never asked, nor wanted the government to have a record of, well pretty much everything in my life really ...

BTW Newsflash, it's not identity theft I'm worried about.
                      OK, we will just make it optional for the government to have personal details .

So you do an when you end up in a coma the doctors have to guess your medical history and the pedophile down the road gets to scrub his and gets a job at the local school.

Of course information should be voluntary as you say.

Comment

Working...
                      X