• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homoeopathy on the NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Think on this. There is no market incentive for curing something. There is huge market incentive for developing a drug that alleviates symptoms, but that have to be taken over a long period - especially if you have to take another drug that alleviates the side effects of taking that drug.

Agreed...the money is in the drug not in the cure.
    Especially when you can get tables for almost everything

I saw a commercial the other day that said, "Do you go to bed at night and wake up in the morning?"
    Oh tulip they got that one! I got that! I'm sick, I need that pill! (CR)
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
      Agreed...the money is in the drug not in the cure.
      A bit like contracting then.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        A bit like contracting then.
        If you're not part of the solution, there's good money in prolonging the problem

(from one of those anti-motivational posters)
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          Naivety beyond belief.

I guess the scandals of drug companies releasing drugs after assessing that the profit from releasing a drug would outweigh the cost of law suits and bad publicity as a result....or withholding details of side effects....or illegal practice in clinical trials, are all figments of peoples' imagination???

I was working for a certain German pharmaceutical company when one such scandal hit (no prizes for guessing which), so I know what I am talking about. If you seriously think pharmaceutical companies are ethical (without being forced to be), you sir are talking out of your backside.

Think on this. There is no market incentive for curing something. There is huge market incentive for developing a drug that alleviates symptoms, but that have to be taken over a long period - especially if you have to take another drug that alleviates the side effects of taking that drug.

Pharma companies are neither more nor less ethical than any other industry.
          The difference is that they are strictly regulated with respect to release of new drugs.
          Naive? I don't think so. I have worked in clinical trials for most of my past contracting career i.e. many years in the major pharma companies (at the sharp end of analysing clinical trial data at a senior level ) so I think I know of what I speak.
          There has been a gradual improvement of regulation and best practice over the years - and yes there were some sharp practices caused by market pressure. As regulatory and oversight systems have improved, the capability to get away with it has been grqdually squeezed out of the system.
          Point is, on balance, I believe the pharma industry has done more good than bad.
          Without the pharma industry, our life expectancy would be down by about 10-20 years.

May I also say PM your comments on pharma and global warming betray a typical "PM" inability to understand the science behind it all. Now wonder most projects fail in this country ;-)
          Last edited by sasguru; 31 March 2009, 10:46.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Don't know how things are in the UK, but you go into an pharmacy in Germany, France or Switzerland, and you'll have a wide range of homeopathic remedies available. The pharmacies love to sell them, as, being made of water, the profit margin is huge.

Homeopathy is unscientific. Since its rules were laid down a hundred or so years ago, there had been no development, no modification. In fact, any modification is strenuously resisted. Homeopathic hospitals were used in the first world war to treat wounded soldiers. Many died as a direct result. It is evil and profit driven, relying on people's superstitions and fear. ( Just like those nasty Pharma companies ).

The only honest homeopathy company is found here: Fair Deal Homeopathy.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

The only honest homeopathy company is found here: Fair Deal Homeopathy.
              Brilliant! I sense a plan B emerging here. Maybe I’ll do ‘fair trade fair deal’ homeopathy, guaranteeing that ‘none of our ingredients have originated from exploited third world workers’ and sell it at 9,99 a bottle.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ah, the Body Shop paradigm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Brilliant! I sense a plan B emerging here. Maybe I’ll do ‘fair trade fair deal’ homeopathy, guaranteeing that ‘none of our ingredients have originated from exploited third world workers’ and sell it at 9,99 a bottle.
                  And if you admit you're relying on the placebo effect, you can just provide regular water. Provided the punters don't know, the placebo effect will still work.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Make sure you claim that your ingredients doesn't contain any chemicals.
                    Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Funny thing with the placebo effect. A group of people were given morphine or a morphine placebo. They were then given a drug that stops the action of morphine - they didn't know what the drug was for. A significant number of peole who'd had the morphine placebo, reported that the pain returned.

So it looks like the placebo effect could be caused by the body releasing its own morphine like substances - endorphins.

Comment

Working...
                      X