• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad News..Good News..Bad News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I got the gig - no time spent on the bench and the best rate I've had ever. So now it's off to Geneva. I've looked at the hotels in Geneva and it looks bleeding expensive to stay there, so I think I'm going to book into that hotel Cyberman suggested.

Now I get to relax until my new one starts on April Fools Day!!!

Well done Tony !!

Comment

I got the gig - no time spent on the bench and the best rate I've had ever. So now it's off to Geneva. I've looked at the hotels in Geneva and it looks bleeding expensive to stay there, so I think I'm going to book into that hotel Cyberman suggested.

Now I get to relax until my new one starts on April Fools Day!!!
      Well done - great news! Even better is the break prior to starting!!

Comment

Staying in Geneva

When I was there some 10 years ago you had to be careful about commuting across the border each day from France - you are not supposed to, and the Swiss do take their rules seriously (just try walking across the lights before the green man shows!). My friend lodged with someone else in a flat, I had my own place but it was a nightmare to get and the rule is they assume you are staying on for each 6 month rental period unless you give 6 months notice. (we just ran away).

You MUST make sure you have a work permit for the canton (county) of Geneva, not for the canton in which the agency is based. My agency said the 10 contractors were living in their office somewhere else in the country. If you get this wrong you will get a nice letter from the police inviting you visit them at the police station (the reason why we ran away). Of course you can believe the agency when they say they have sorted out the paperwork if you want - but then you can also believe that they 'just need two references' :-)

If you think of each Swiss Franc as being 10p you will stay sane on the prices.

Other than that it was the best gig I ever had, and the fountain in Geneva is wonderful.

Comment

He is paid about $800 a month and has none of the skills needed to do the job he has taken over. As far as I'm concerned I have shown him what he needs to do. The fact is a number of his tasks fall outside this script and he hasn't got a chance of meeting the requirements. But that isn't my problem. If they need me then I'll happily quote to fix any issues this guy produces, but they won't.
          Well done, it sounds like fixing the "plenty quick, much cheapness" code could be the next gig after Swizzy!
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
            Nestle by any chance?
            Ooh, one of my customers, just renewed the support contract with them for another year. I remeber building their system some years back and it was the first time I had come across a Swiss keyboard which confused the hell out of me and the American guy working with me. Also confused the hell out of the Swiss as even they couldn't work out how whjich keys needed to be pressed to get square brackets. For that gig I stayed in the Sheraton and got serenaded by the lady piano player when a young women sat not too far from (she was not too impressed and buggered off shortly.)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I figured for the first couple of days I'd stay just over the border in France. Then once I get my bearings I'd look for a place a little more permanant. As the projects is only 3 months I'd imagine renting would not be an option. Staying in Geneva itself looks like it's a non starter. There is no point working away from home and giving it all to some guy running a hotel.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I figured for the first couple of days I'd stay just over the border in France. Then once I get my bearings I'd look for a place a little more permanant. As the projects is only 3 months I'd imagine renting would not be an option. Staying in Geneva itself looks like it's a non starter. There is no point working away from home and giving it all to some guy running a hotel.
                Hotel Restaurant Le Sofia‎ just over the border in Saint Genis Pouilly. Rent a cheap car or take the Y bus (not very regular or fast). Decent restaurant. Place is old but not bad. Couple of bars in the village and a couple of shops. I stayed several times when visiting CERN.
                "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

Working...
                X