• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The bluffers guide to football

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Bill Bailey's synopsis:

Bunch of overpaid borderline rapists, attempting to herd an inflated pigskin into an outdoor cupboard.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      This might help, it's meant for 'wimin' but it should help... substitute shoes for pie or something.

The Offside Rule explained, at last.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Actually with me it was reading about the Busby babes and the sad story of the Munich Air disaster at the age of 9.
        Yes, another beauty.

I heard the "grandad's knee" one a few months ago. A bloke I know who was born and bred in Luton was moaning that no-one cared about Luton Town, who were broke, getting punished by the league for dodgy finances, and were bottom of the league. He harrangued me quite loudly for supporting Wimbledon (now MK Dons) when I only lived 10 miles from Luton. So I asked him why he supported Man Yew...

At least I'm from Sarf London.

Comment

what you need to do is explain that at a grass roots level football is an excellent team game which promotes team work, spatial awareness, communication skills and general good health but the fact that at the top level the game is full of over paid shirtlifters means that you have lost interest in the game at this level.

that should single you out as someone who understands football but is not really interested in talking about it.

job done.

Comment

Just say you're a Chelsea fan and no-one will want to talk to you anyway

HTH
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
              Just say you're a Chelsea fan and no-one will want to talk to you anyway

HTH
              I reckoned if I wasn't a city fan, I'd be a chelsea fan... I liked that fella with the big hair Ruud thingy. Yum!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

If you want respect then the only team to say you support is the one that you grew up nearest to - it helps if they have football league status

You are also permitted to support one of the top teams (ie probably one that you will have heard of) if you grew up in that City

Also - if you say you are a City fan, everyone will love you... for now that is - just wait till we start taking the prizes off of the Sky 4, then everyone will hate us.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  I reckoned if I wasn't a city fan, I'd be a chelsea fan... I liked that fella with the big hair Ruud thingy. Yum!
                  Cailin loves a "Ruud thingy"..... Smutty Friday is here - better late than never!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    Cailin loves a "Ruud thingy"..... Smutty Friday is here - better late than never!
                    You know what I meant....
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      You know what I meant....
                      At last! She's started spanking again! Here I am, I'm ready for you
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X