• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying A Second Hand Car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No and no.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      No and no.
      Not what the press says - at least for reliability. Unless they've improved recently
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

They have minor problems with the electrics sometimes. I've had two hydrogas citroens as work cars, both going strong at over 100k miles. the diesels are bulletproof, Ford were putting Citroen diesel engines in their cars for years.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Subaru Legacy - 2.5 to 3k will get you a higher mileage one but they go on forever, good build quality and feel solid.

Handle well, but a bit thirsty due to the 4wd.

Also the engines are non-interference. In other words if the cam belt does go pop (should be changed every 45k) then Mr Valve doesn't meet Mr Piston.

The 90's models go for under a grand now.

Oh, and the boxers sound great
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            What should I be looking for when I inspect a second hand car ?
            Blood on the front bumper.

Comment

For that money I'd buy a mondeo with a big petrol engine & lots of kit.
              "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Don't go for a popular model/brand, you'll just end up with an older car. It may be more relaible compared to others of the same age, but the newer (less popular) car will nearly always beat it.

I'd look at Citroen, Ford or Vauxhall. Citroen's depreciate really quickly, not justified IMHO given they are a re-bodied Peugeot. The C5 is cheap as chips, and a very comfy motorway car (using hydrogas suspension like mercs) that would get you an 05/06 for that money.
                Vauhall are cheap for a reason, they are heaps of tulipe.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
                  Vauhall are cheap for a reason, they are heaps of tulipe.
                  No more so than most mass produced cars. e.g. Most of the electrics are Bosch, VW/Audi use Bosch too, so the electrics will be as reliable as a VW/Audi (OK VAG aren't the most reliable these days, but they're not bad).
                  Vauxhall engines are pretty strong also, they just have a dour image, no worse than buying a Ford and in some cases better. The brief was a cheap runaround car, if it were buying from new, I'd be suggesting Japanese, but in the low end second hand market they aren't good value (due to the low depreciation).

Comment

I just bought a Pug 807 Executive SE. That's the one with six seats (pullman) with armrests on every seat. Full cream leather. Electric heated memory seats. Climate control with invidual settings for each passenger. Electric everything. You name it it's got it. Automatic so easy to drive. Dark tinted privacy glass. Electric remote operated sliding doors.

One owner, full Pug SH on an 04 plate for £4500, with full main dealer warranty.

Great for long journeys with the kids and family.

I thought it was a steal at that price.

Comment

If the 807 is a diesel then it ain't a bad price at all DP - very good in fact. Whats the mileage?

Comment

Working...
                      X