• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying A Second Hand Car"

Collapse

• kobie
    replied
    Nip down to the car auctions - buy quality newish cars <7K. Someone above listed a whole load of good tests, some of which you can do some of which you can't. Go for a few weeks identify the true dealers and bid on the cars that they go after. I tend to go for toyota's...safe & reliable.

Lots of cars coming up for main dealers who need the cash, plus ex-company cars etc... If you have a car then just sell that at the auctions as well - beware that there is a price called a CAP price, which is a Cash Auction Price. You could argue that its the true cost of the car not the inflated trade-in's offered by a dealer against his inflated his car....

Cheers
    Kobie

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    So as a 25k car it doesn't rate well, but as 4.5k it sounds like a good buy.
    It's pointless reading a rating based on the new price. You have to weigh it up against what else is available used for the money.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Just got a 1972 Morris Minor 1800 with the automatic transmission. Wife now wants a BMW Z3..well she now wants the Z4. She's now seen a Z3 going for £4,600 minus our ("*&(^ Passat she can get it for £3,500...assuming she can afford the insurance. I'm not sure how I can split the non-claims bonus over two cars....the 05 Primera with less than 15K on the clock and the Z3.

Anyway..she looked at the service booklet and compared the milage to the book to confirm the odometer readings haven't been buggered. She took a friend who is a mechanic with her to have a look over and test drive it.

So that's my advice...even if it is late.

BTW anybody interested in a Passat?..not even for £800?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes, sasguru, I'm sure being alone on a desert island suits your personality.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    PPS. This car cost £25,000 new with the extras!

That's like saying "the flat over the kebab shop in Peckham was £400K at the peak".

Thanks for the laugh mate, it's made my morning.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's just a car mate. Cheap transport for touring the country with lots of friends and family. Oh, I see why you don't get it now.

You're right I don't "tour the country with friends and family".
    So you're really a pikey chav, eh?

Much prefer to be flying out to exotic destinations.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes I'm beginning to picture you cruising around Swindon in your blacked out 807, feeling 'ard.
    You must get stopped a lot by drunk people needing a cab though.

It's just a car mate. Cheap transport for touring the country with lots of friends and family. Oh, I see why you don't get it now.

PS. Here's a better review.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-te...ersion_id=3861

PPS. This car cost £25,000 new with the extras!
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 20 March 2009, 11:10.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Residuals I don't car about (I will run it for a few years, all bangers like this become worthless).

Wow, on a track it would be tulip. No way!

It's very quiet, full of leather and toys and fully blacked out windows. Perfect for travelling Britain in comfort and safety. That's all I wanted.

Oh, and cheap too.
    Yes I'm beginning to picture you cruising around Swindon in your blacked out 807, feeling 'ard.
    You must get stopped a lot by drunk people needing a cab though.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Residuals I don't car about (I will run it for a few years, all bangers like this become worthless).

Wow, on a track it would be tulip. No way!

It's very quiet, full of leather and toys and fully blacked out windows. Perfect for travelling Britain in comfort and safety. That's all I wanted.

Oh, and cheap too.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I just bought a Pug 807 Executive SE. That's the one with six seats (pullman) with armrests on every seat. Full cream leather. Electric heated memory seats. Climate control with invidual settings for each passenger. Electric everything. You name it it's got it. Automatic so easy to drive. Dark tinted privacy glass. Electric remote operated sliding doors.

One owner, full Pug SH on an 04 plate for £4500, with full main dealer warranty.

Great for long journeys with the kids and family.

I thought it was a steal at that price.

Admit it, you just bought that so you can moonlight as a cabbie.

here's Top Gear's verdict

Our verdict

A real tumbleweed moment for the Peugeot/Citroen partnership, this recently facelifted version of the least exciting car on sale – the Peugeot 807 – continues to engender a stony silence from everyone who steps within. It’s not awful, it’s just… nothing.

Comfort

There is always a trace element of satisfaction to be had from riding in the back of a vast, utilitarian MPV. There is tons of space in both back row, and with a good ride it can all begin to feel almost executive in there. But never actually does.
    12 out of 20

Performance
    Typical Peugeot drill here: get the larger diesel and you won't be disappointed. Nothing is going to be quick in a car this size, let alone when its laden, but there's enough torque from the 2.2-litre HDI to get the job done.
    4 out of 20

Cool
    Not even in the rarified world of airport taxi drivers is the 807 going to considered cool. It wouldn't be cool if Kate Moss threw her next three-day birthday bender in the back. Although there probably is enough room.
    3 out of 20

Quality
    Things look all right in here. Nothing falling off on our hands anyway. There were a fair few problems reported with the ECU in the last version though, so we can only hope they've ironed that out.
    7 out of 20

Handling

Not a car you'd want to late brake at the bottom of the Mulsanne Straight, especially not with seven adults on board, but the 807 does the job when the job is almost certainly just getting you to the airport on time.
    8 out of 20

Practicality
    If you can be bothered to take the rear seats out, and it is a massive shag to do so and then you've got to find somewhere to put them, you have a 3,000-litre load space. Which makes you realise, if you hadn't already, that the 807 is just a van.

13 out of 20

Running costs
    Cheap-ish to buy and run thanks to zero cache and sensible diesels, the 807 makes a sound business choice. As a private buy though, you're going to get walloped by tulipe residuals

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Still a good car for not much money.

Similar situation myself but have managed to buy a dog of a mondeo. Am trying to PX against something like 807/ espace/ possibly large diesel estate. Had overlooked the 807 until your mention of it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I just bought a Pug 807 Executive SE. That's the one with six seats (pullman) with armrests on every seat. Full cream leather. Electric heated memory seats. Climate control with invidual settings for each passenger. Electric everything. You name it it's got it. Automatic so easy to drive. Dark tinted privacy glass. Electric remote operated sliding doors.

One owner, full Pug SH on an 04 plate for £4500, with full main dealer warranty.

Post this on the correct thread

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    It's a petrol, 48K on the clock.

Diesel does about 40 MPG and petrol does 30 MPG. Petrol is about 10% cheaper than diesel and servicing costs are lower.

For the mileage I'm going to do, the diesel (which I find rough) makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    If the 807 is a diesel then it ain't a bad price at all DP - very good in fact. Whats the mileage?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X