• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rural revolt gathers pace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Why should younger memebers of a family who's lived in a village for x generations be priced out of buying new homes in that area because of people looking for a second home?
    Er, because they don't have the money, and the other people do.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Er, because they don't have the money, and the other people do.
      So, people who get paid **** all, but do a valuable job in farming should be ****ed over because Jonny 2-jags and his family want somewhere nice to stay at the weekends?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It comes from the fact that this way of life won't be tenable in the near future. Why should younger memebers of a family who's lived in a village for x generations be priced out of buying new homes in that area because of people looking for a second home?.
        My family had lived in Kensington for generations. Why should I be priced out of the market by wealthy russians?

This is of course made up, but there is no god given right for somebody to be able to live where they want. In some areas second home ownership has made things more unaffordable, but my village in somerset was pretty unaffordable to most "locals" best part of 20 years ago.

Comment

Have you thought what will happen to our villages when people faced with the choice of living with their parents or moving to a city choose the city?
          The villages have survived for centuries with all sorts of pressures. It's not like this new one is particularly serious. In the end, things will even out.

Anyway are you suggesting some lazy drongo from a Zomerset village should be given a free house just because he was born there?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            My family had lived in Kensington for generations. Why should I be priced out of the market by wealthy russians?
            Kensington? Pah! New money! My family once owned a castle in Rheinland-Pfalz and owned several vineyards, two villages and a large chunk of forest. Why should I be denied my birthright just because they buggered off to Manchester in the 19th century and then went bust in the 30s? Why should some hotel owner be allowed to exploit my forefathers’ efforts for the sake of profits? It’s wrong, I tell you, it’s wrong! I shall now proceed to reclaim my Schloss!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Anyway are you suggesting some lazy drongo from a Zomerset village should be given a free house just because he was born there?
              Not at all, I'm suggesting that low cost homes in rural areas should only be available to people who can demonstrate a local connection (either by work or family) and not to Jonny two-jags for his weekend home.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ok, forget it. Have your free market.

Village life is tulip anyway, that's why I moved away.

Comment

Not at all, I'm suggesting that low cost homes in rural areas should only be available to people who can demonstrate a local connection (either by work or family) and not to Jonny two-jags for his weekend home.
                  You don't believe in the free market, then?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ok, forget it. Have your free market.

Village life is tulip anyway, that's why I moved away.
                    And I take it that a man with your convictions sold your house on for dirt cheap to a farm hand?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      And I take it that a man with your convictions sold your house on for dirt cheap to a farm hand?
                      Wasn't my house.

Comment

Working...
                      X