• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rural revolt gathers pace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Have you thought what will happen to our villages when people faced with the choice of living with their parents or moving to a city choose the city?
    You live in a city don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      You live in a city don't you?
      Not quite, but at least I have a reasonably well paid job and can make that choice.

Most of the farming folk I know down Zomerzet way are either still living with their mums or work on an estate where rented accommodation is available. Buying a property just isn't an option on their wages.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Not quite, but at least I have a reasonably well paid job and can make that choice.

Most of the farming folk I know down Zomerzet way are either still living with their mums or work on an estate where rented accommodation is available. Buying a property just isn't an option on their wages.
        Find it odd that you don't live in a village but use the term 'our villages'. You sound very much like a city dweller that 'knows what is best' for the country.

Comment

Find it odd that you don't live in a village but use the term 'our villages'. You sound very much like a city dweller that 'knows what is best' for the country.
          WHS.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Buying a property here in Somerset isn't an option on agricultural wages, especially with the state of farming. I doubt there is anywhere where it is an option. One option of course that farming folk do have is an agricultural workers dwelling. Sure there are some hoops to jump through, but it tends to be possible if you can demonstrate the actual business is sustainable. Then you can build the house on cheap land. This tends to be more affordable.

Subsidised housing is another option, there are a bunch of these schemes around - though some are fiercely resisted. The reality however is that these sorts of housing only store up problems for later, trapping their occupants.

Comment

Buying a house with a Burger King burger flipping wage will not get you anything anywhere either, town or country, where does this sympathy for people who get "agricultural wages" come from?

The people who desecrated these houses will not be honest workers, they will be unemployed vandals, high on jealousy, low on income, please don't give them an excuse with your romantic image of the countryside gained from a Constable print that you used to have in your house wall in the 80s
              Last edited by minestrone; 16 March 2009, 20:04.

Comment

Buying a house with a Burger King burger flipping wage will not get you anything anywhere either, town or country, where does this sympathy for people who get "agricultural wages" come from?

The people who desecrated these houses will not be honest workers, they will be unemployed vandals, high on jealousy, low on income, please don't give them an excuse with your romantic image of the countryside gained from a Constable print that you used to have in your house wall in the 80s
                Do you want some vinegar?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Do you want some vinegar?
                  You would love the country, there are plenty of goats there.

Comment

Well, having lived in a hamlet in Somerset during my formative years with no shop or pub for four miles I think I know what I'm talking about, but you go on thinking what you like about a person you've never met.

It comes from the fact that this way of life won't be tenable in the near future. Why should younger memebers of a family who's lived in a village for x generations be priced out of buying new homes in that area because of people looking for a second home?

I don't agree with vandalising new homes - some people are very misguided - but to dismiss their concerns is wrong.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You would love the country, there are plenty of goats there.
                      I live in the country. In fact, my new place is even more countrified!

I don't like goats.

Comment

Working...
                      X