• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wi-Fi in the home and risk of cancer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    If I could only afford a house right under a pylon and near a mobile transmitter I would conclude that I had failed in life which in turn would make me depressed.

I bet you don't know whether you have a massive electrical cable under your house though. The consequences are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      I bet you don't know whether you have a massive electrical cable under your house though. The consequences are the same.
      No I don't know but then again I'm not depressed so I guess not... or maybe the fact I don't know about it keeps me sane??
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
        I've been hearing negative things about Wi-Fi i.e. it emits radiation which could give cancer to people and you should switch it off in the home at night when you are sleeping.

Is this just a load of scaremongering bull tuplip or is there a shred of truth in it.

I mean how does Wi-Fi compare to AM/FM radio waves in terms of them being able to mutate your DNA and give you cancer ?

I've been using Wi-Fi with my new laptop for the last 4 months in the home but I've always slept with my BT Hub router ON in the bedroom for the past 2 years and even though I never used Wi-Fi for the majority of this time it does emit a signal !!!

Your valued opinions are most welcome !

I think the best guide to this subject is:
        http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/

There are also other interesting websites - e.g. google 'mastsanity', or 'tetrawatch'.

In my opinion, there is enough evidence (see the studies listed on the Powerwatch website) that should make us extremely cautious.
        The usual 'no evidence of effect = evidence of no effect' is used as an argument by the powerful and influential international (in this case telecommunications) companies.

There are a range of varying signals and effects from the different EM signals produced by mobile phones, DECT (cordless) telephones, Wi-fi, phone masts etc., some worse than others.

DECT phones, for example, have a pulsing component which is thought to be very harmful to the human body. The base unit of these emit a very strong signal 24x7 hours, equivalent to a small mobile phone mast.

The police have a high incidence of oesophogus cancer as a result of where they carry their phones. Their phones use Tetra / airwave technology. The Tetra masts are unfortunately, quite widespread throught most of the country.

The following website will give you a guide to where the phone masts are located. http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Comparisons of Radio Wave Power (RF) Emissions

* FM Radio Transmitter: up to 10 Kilowatts
          * Microwave Oven: 800Watt
          * GSM Mobile phone base station: 40Watt
          * Commercial 2-way radio: 30Watt
          * GSM Mobile phone handset: up to 2Watt
          * Bluetooth: up to 100milliwatt (in 2.4 GHz)
          * Wifi: up to 100milliwatt (in 2.4GHz)
          Originally posted by techno View Post
          Numerous leaflets being handed out pointing back to some Panorama programme where this (the WiFi issue) was apparently highlighted and showed the radiation was comparable to that from a phone mast.
          40 Watts, compared to 0.1Watts.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have read that being around wifi for 1 year is equivalent to talking 20 mins on your mobile. And that microwaves are like 100 000 times more harmful than wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
              I have read that being around wifi for 1 year is equivalent to talking 20 mins on your mobile. And that microwaves are like 100 000 times more harmful than wifi.

Wifi is microwaves !!

Comment

for those sceptics !!

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DSOM.php

Comment

Wifi is microwaves !!
                  Yes but at a massively reduced power compared to mobile phones.

We are also bombarded with natural radio waves covering the full spectrum on a constant basis.

WiFi is totally insignificant.
                  Originally posted by cailin maith
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Wifi is microwaves !!
                    I think he meant a microwave oven.

Thing is, it's quite hard to get a microwave oven to fry your head (unless you cut it off first, but then a fried head is the least of your worries).
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

for those sceptics !!

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/DSOM.php
                      That's a great money-spinner, put a report out on the internet and charge people £3.50 to see the references.

Here's a couple of real ones

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9806599

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9453703
                      Last edited by Moscow Mule; 11 March 2009, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                      X