• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Going Forward..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
    It's actually a ribbon, in the colours of a Palestinian flag.

Why? To show my support against the occupiers of their land...
    Have you heard of the spoils of war?
    Israel won that land fairly in a war launched by its enemies to exterminate it.

The 'Occupied Territories' refers to land lost by Israel's Arab neighbors, and gained by Israel, in the Six-Day War of 1967. They include Judaea and Samaria (previously occupied by Jordan, and now known as the 'West Bank'), the Golan Heights (previously occupied by Syria), and the Gaza Strip (previously occupied by Egypt). Interestingly, while these territories were conquered by Jordan, Syria and Egypt in 1948 to the time they were gained by Israel, the territories were not refered to as 'occupied' by the international community. Furthermore, the people living in those territories before 1967 were not called 'Palestinians' as they are today; they were called Jordanians and Egyptians.

HTH

More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Palestine
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
      It is one of my pet theories that projects go wrong because no-one can really understand each other over all of the pseudo-bollox that they shovel.
      I can vouch for that. Too many bloody internal clientco acronyms as well, and nobody has the sense to ask 'what does that mean?'
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        And why is everything called ‘SOLUTIONS’?

F**king ‘Hygiene Solutions’, ‘Transport Solutions’, ‘Catering Solutions’, ‘Document Management Solutions’, ‘Environmental Solutions’etc.

STOP IT !
        There is a shop round here that sells kitchen equipment (tools, casserole dishes, aprons etc). Their advertising material refers to them as Whisk Cooking Solutions
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          It always amazes me the amount of times I sit in meetings and have to listen to normally intelligent adult human beings degrade themselves by spouting this sort of tulip. Normally as will when they are in front of their line managers etc.

It is one of my pet theories that projects go wrong because no-one can really understand each other over all of the pseudo-bollox that they shovel.
          Fair point and one that I can agree with since I've seen it myself many times.

Comment

I can vouch for that. Too many bloody internal clientco acronyms as well, and nobody has the sense to ask 'what does that mean?'
            thats because then people may see they are not part of the gang and not talk to them or let them play football at lunchtime.

and steal their dinner money

pointless azz kissing permies!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Once, a long time ago in permieland, I was called into the a meeting room by my boss and I was made redundant. His first words to me in that meeting were...

"Going forward".

Going forward for him.....but "Going backward" for you

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
                It's actually a ribbon, in the colours of a Palestinian flag.

Why? To show my support against the occupiers of their land...
                Ok how long is it ok to call the residents of one country or another invaders rather than natives?

Every continent (barring Antarctica) and every country that I can think of has been invaded and occupied at some point (or repeatedly) over history, there has to be a point at which people accept that it's a done deal and just get on with life rather than perpetuate the hatred.

Comment

While we're at it.....Oxford compiled list of 10 most annoying words and "At the end of the day " was on top, but an awful lot of people said "Going forward" deserve to be in that list(which wasnt there unfortunately).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Have you heard of the spoils of war?
                    Israel won that land fairly in a war launched by its enemies to exterminate it.

The 'Occupied Territories' refers to land lost by Israel's Arab neighbors, and gained by Israel, in the Six-Day War of 1967. They include Judaea and Samaria (previously occupied by Jordan, and now known as the 'West Bank'), the Golan Heights (previously occupied by Syria), and the Gaza Strip (previously occupied by Egypt). Interestingly, while these territories were conquered by Jordan, Syria and Egypt in 1948 to the time they were gained by Israel, the territories were not refered to as 'occupied' by the international community. Furthermore, the people living in those territories before 1967 were not called 'Palestinians' as they are today; they were called Jordanians and Egyptians.

HTH

More info here:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Palestine
                    I would expect this from somone with a lack of true understanding, and from someone who confides in wikipedia...

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      Ok how long is it ok to call the residents of one country or another invaders rather than natives?

Every continent (barring Antarctica) and every country that I can think of has been invaded and occupied at some point (or repeatedly) over history, there has to be a point at which people accept that it's a done deal and just get on with life rather than perpetuate the hatred.
                      Actually my point is that "Palestinians" didn't exist before the 6 day war and that the other Arab states did not have any interest in helping the people of "Palestine" or creating a Palestinian state when they were in charge of the "Palestinian" lands.
                      "Palestine" is a compeletely made up concept dating from the late 60s.

In any case how can you negotiate with someone who says "my whole aim is to wipe you off the planet"?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X