• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the doom just beginning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You have a point, but I really wonder how many people have borrowed to extremes. I used to borrow when I was a poorly paid permie, simply because I couldn’t afford to buy stuff like furniture for the house on my salary, but I never maxed out the credit cards. Once I started contracting and earning good money I immediately started paying it all off, and now only have a relatively small mortgage that doesn’t keep me awake at night. I know one contractor who bought a huge old house, renovated it and now has a 850k mortgage and no contract, but he’s an extreme case. Most people I know are not, as far as I know, big borrowers.
    I agree, but most people are not earning what we are.

Also, I don't necessarily mean maxing out, just borrowing more than might be prudent (I've used that word again). For someone on the average wages of around 25K a year, it is not so easy to pay off (say) 2K on a credit card and a 100K mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Looks like a good time to buy!
      Or an even better time to sell!

There is no such thing as too cheap!!!
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Uk

everyhing is going well in UK according to comrade Brown.
        do not worry unnecessarily !

Comment

In Japan, analysts said talk of a fresh government stimulus plan was unlikely to help revive the stock market.

"Unless markets overseas stop falling, there's nothing we can do, no matter how hard we try," said Yutaka Miura, an analyst at Shinko Securities.
          From

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7920253.stm

So all we need to do is stop the markets overseas from falling. Some sort of trillion dollar stimulus package or something. Scratches head.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
            everyhing is going well in UK according to comrade Brown.do not worry unnecessarily !
            Crash Gordon
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              WHS

(for further details see my .sig - saves having to keep retyping the same thing)
              We're all fliped. I'm fliped. You're fliped. The whole country is fliped. It's the biggest flip-up ever. We're all completely fliped.
              -- Sir Richard Mottram
              Is this the biggest flip-up ever? Are we terminally flipped and if not how long will we remain completely flipped? Is the UK more flipped than any other country?

Other questions include whether those holding cash, stocks or commodities/minerals are more flipped than those letting out properties that are also falling in value.

Ah, another one. How the flip did Japan survive an 80% drop in property prices (if my memory serves). This doesn't seem possible without major flippness of doom proportions occurring, such as the majority of people becoming repossessed or bankrupted.

Comment

If you look at the bbc doom, you will see the Dow only fell by just over half of 1 percentage point. Maybe this is a turning point (for now)
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Looks like a good time to buy!
                  Hmm - I thought 3900 was about the floor and went in, now that it has broke 3500 there is no support and I'm not sure what to do - could stay in or cut my losses.

Tough call.

Comment

15 days ...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                      15 days ...
                      Self-fulfilling prophecy?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X