• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the doom just beginning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It seems to me that news of economic doom is picking up pace rapidly now and the effects beginning to show in the real economy. No Jobserve jobs, house and stock prices crashing etc. Or are we just getting a lot of bad economic news currently and can expect this to peak and we see green shoots of recovery to begin appear later this year or next?

Or are we all doomed and even after the major doom has peaked, are we all doomed long-term too?
    Don't believe what you read in the papers, or what you see on the news channels. And it wouldn't be any different under the Tories. In fact, it's all Maggie's fault.

All the above are what I've learnt from the esteemed members of CUK...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      16 days to go.
      Link please

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Just remember how many families are:

A/ reliant on 'good times' service sector jobs
        B/ seriously in debt, funding a lifestyle beyond their means
        For many years I have watched people happy to live beyond their means, while I was endeavouring to get rid of my debts.

Am I allowed a bit of schadenfreude?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Or are we all doomed and even after the major doom has peaked, are we all doomed long-term too?
          One man's doom is another man's opportunity.

Someone should translate that into Latin and make it the CUK motto.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

One man's ceiling is another man's floor? hold on ... that was Wayne from Aufwiedersehen Pet wasnt it ...

Comment

For many years I have watched people happy to live beyond their means, while I was endeavouring to get rid of my debts.

Am I allowed a bit of schadenfreude?
              Surely if you have had debts and paid them off, all that divides you from other people is timing? You paid off your debts before the bad times, while others who may have intended to start repaying have been stung before they had the chance.

OK, so I don’t know whether to sympathise with people who maxed out their credit cards on posh shoes and expensive tellies, but then I’m judging from a position of being able to afford a nice lifestyle without needing to borrow.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
                One man's ceiling is another man's floor? hold on ... that was Wayne from Aufwiedersehen Pet wasnt it ...
                Unsure about APet - but it certainly is the title of a Paul Simon song taken from the There Goes Rhyming Simon album.

Got a great piano intro ...

Comment

Unus man's fatum est alius man's vicis

or maybe

fatum of unus vir est vicis of alius

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    Don't believe what you read in the papers, or what you see on the news channels. And it wouldn't be any different under the Tories. In fact, it's all Maggie's fault.

All the above are what I've learnt from the esteemed members of CUK...
                    Someone actually came here to listen instead of just spouting nonsense on stuff they dont understand? Wow....

Comment

The brightest news in NL right now is that people aren't losing their houses or their business inventories as quickly as was thought because the bailiffs and bankruptcy courts are too busy to handle all the work. One debt collection agency in our town has a 9 month waiting list and is refusing new customers.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X