• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: Free Website Based Password Store

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Hi,

I am speaking about Unix command line level passwords, passwords for webservice communication between systems, sys admin passwords for systems, etc

I have seen a Single Sign On web interface for the Unix level, you logon to the Web Interface and then you can access the Unix command line for any system for which you are authorised

well for me these wonderful security consultant solutions are a pile of steamy smelly brown stuff which only intorduce another layer of pain to hinder the .net sys admin who is just trying to get onto the unix command line, these web based access systems are unstable, at the mercy of more administrators who are maintaining those systems, not to mention slow, and not 100% available

when compared to the unix command line running in putty on my desktop

next, how is your super single sign on system going to work with .net administrator tools which can only be started from OS level cmd line on windows and unix and which require yet another log on when they open ?

thanks but no thanks

password db will be just fine thank you

Milan.

Hear hear!

Get all the passwords onto an A1 poster, have a few hundred printed and post it out to all your offices in India etc.

Presto! No more forgotton passwords!

Comment

jayzuz,

you lot

flip's sake

look lads,

we got a zillion systems here and they all have admin passwords and all kind of services users and passwords and hosts and passwords and ftp passwords

you get the picture

we got a zillion .net systems to administer and consequently 5 zillion passwords which...

we need to store centrally so that everybody in the admin team and in particular the offshores can find any password they need, and if they change the password they can update it in the password storage

the password storage should be a web based tool which can run on MS IIS

ist das kla ?

Milan.
      Sounds pretty clear to me. Your system administration has evolved into a mess and you want a single free solution which all the admins can access and view/change passwords.

You get what you pay for and I'm guessing this will not turn out to be very secure at all...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Hi,

I am speaking about Unix command line level passwords, passwords for webservice communication between systems, sys admin passwords for systems, etc

I have seen a Single Sign On web interface for the Unix level, you logon to the Web Interface and then you can access the Unix command line for any system for which you are authorised

well for me these wonderful security consultant solutions are a pile of steamy smelly brown stuff which only intorduce another layer of pain to hinder the .net sys admin who is just trying to get onto the unix command line, these web based access systems are unstable, at the mercy of more administrators who are maintaining those systems, not to mention slow, and not 100% available

when compared to the unix command line running in putty on my desktop

next, how is your super single sign on system going to work with .net administrator tools which can only be started from OS level cmd line on windows and unix and which require yet another log on when they open ?

thanks but no thanks

password db will be just fine thank you

Milan.
        I can only echo what DimPrawn and Ratewhore have just said.

Single-sign-on is not just the only solution you need in your environment. You may want to look at Identity Management tools as well. Based on your posts, it appears that your environment is in a complete mess, which you seem to be happy to live with. At which point, I will desist and wish you the best.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

pms

granted,

hwoever, this is not my problem, someone else can solve this for the long term, i just want a solution to keep things going, _they_ can find the long term answer

mess = good for contractors

Milan.

Comment

Working...
          X