• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I may finally have blown it…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...the ‘Management team’ of ClientCo’s IT department is ‘unfit for purpose’
    We obviously work for the same Client then....

....or are they all like that?
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Unprofessional mate - no matter how pissed you was [but you prob know this]

You should have changed your chosen words.

Saying that LOL - Ive done it as well - I called the entire team of Senior Management a bunch of "Yes Men" a few years back in a meeting - or rather I asked the question if they were - certainly not as strong as what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

Saying that LOL - Ive done it as well - I called the entire team of Senior Management a bunch of "Yes Men" a few years back in a meeting - or rather I asked the question if they were - certainly not as strong as what you said.
        Integrity trumps 'professionalism' any day of the week.

Being a professional means telling it like it is, not being a toadying toerag.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Unprofessional? Yes, if you do it all the time and don't try to sort things out tactfully. At least I have some training and qualifications for the work I do, unlike the bleeding incompetent halfwits running this place. As well as that, I agree with bogeyman that sometimes somebody just has to tell it as it is. It’s arguably unprofessional not to do that after a while. I’ve spent months trying to sort it out tactfully and in a friendly fashion, and all the while other departments and customers are being seriously let down. At some stage, somebody had to say it. I did, and I really don’t mind facing the music for it. My conscience will be clean.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Unprofessional mate - no matter how pissed you was...
            Mich was drunk?

( Or did you think you were posting in contractorUS? )
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I ended up saying it was self evident that the ‘Management team’ of ClientCo’s IT department is ‘unfit for purpose’ and described the team leader of my department as ‘a wet rag who doesn’t dare to tell his superiors the truth’.
              I think you were actually pretty professional - the only bit I would even hint was unprofessional was the "wet rag" tag........ although give the implied provocation (ie months of attempting to sort it out politely) perhaps he got off lightly.

In the old euphemism it may not prove to be "career enhancing" (or "gig prolonging") but you (appear to) have shown honesty and integrity......

Some would just keep thier head down and keep billing.... In the short term you "may" have shot yourself in the foot but in the long term I hope you benefit, you have probably gained some respect among some of the witnesses (although that won't pay the bills) and you have (I assume) retained your self respect! Good on ya!

Comment

Unprofessional? Yes, if you do it all the time and don't try to sort things out tactfully. At least I have some training and qualifications for the work I do, unlike the bleeding incompetent halfwits running this place. As well as that, I agree with bogeyman that sometimes somebody just has to tell it as it is. It’s arguably unprofessional not to do that after a while. I’ve spent months trying to sort it out tactfully and in a friendly fashion, and all the while other departments and customers are being seriously let down. At some stage, somebody had to say it. I did, and I really don’t mind facing the music for it. My conscience will be clean.
                Mich

Doing it the way you did was unprofessional IF you didnt have strong words behind doors to the people that needed to be spoken to in the manner you have/did.

No matter which way you look at it - speaking like that in an open meeting is never going to come across well no matter how right or wrong you feel you were/are......

Comment

Mich

Doing it the way you did was unprofessional IF you didnt have strong words behind doors to the people that needed to be spoken to in the manner you have/did.
                  I had indeed done that several times. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not a temperamental person. I don't just get angry at a slight provocation. But four months of tolerating utter incompetence, increasing bureaucracy and a wilful disregard for serious issues of business continuity will eventually break my temper. It prevents me from supplying work to the professional standards I require of myself. Granted, the 'wet rag' bit wasn't something I'm very proud of, but I stand by my assertion that the management team is unfit for purpose.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

sadly, it can very easy to ditch the rude contractor, and let him become the fall guy for the very issues you were trying to sort out

but sometimes, not often, but sometimes, someone decent at a senior enough level that was there may have had his eyes opened to the issues, so you never know!

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                      I think you were actually pretty professional - the only bit I would even hint was unprofessional was the "wet rag" tag........ although give the implied provocation (ie months of attempting to sort it out politely) perhaps he got off lightly.

In the old euphemism it may not prove to be "career enhancing" (or "gig prolonging") but you (appear to) have shown honesty and integrity......

Some would just keep thier head down and keep billing.... In the short term you "may" have shot yourself in the foot but in the long term I hope you benefit, you have probably gained some respect among some of the witnesses (although that won't pay the bills) and you have (I assume) retained your self respect! Good on ya!

Are (you) sure that (you) need to use so many of (those) parenthesis or "maybe" you could use "even" less speech marks "!"

Comment

Working...
                      X