• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pratchett's books (new thread).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I agree about Pratchett: I read one book and thought it quite amusing. Then I started to read another, and stopped because of the strong feeling that I had already been there.

I don't see Adams in such a bad light: I think the number and depth of thoughts/jokes/etc in his books is higher, and the number of books is so much lower (not just because he died); it's not spread out nearly so thin. With Pratchett I just couldn't face the idea that he could seemingly churn it out as fast as I could stand reading it.
    Shouldn't really have to choose, but Pratchett get the nod - Adams himself said he was lazy. Pratchett isn't. In simple terms he set out to more or less write two books a year (Not exactly onorous) - I'm happy he did, he's been doing it since I was 13 years old, and they're generally some of the literary highlights of my year and have been for 25 years.

The volume of books 'churned' out means nothing imo. Some great authors only ever write one book. Some great authors write many great books, some write one or two and a whole heap of rubbish as well. The number of bad books written, or indeed number of total books has no bearing on a book being good or not.

And stopping on the 2nd cause you'd 'been there', while entirely your own choice equally gives you no insight whatsover to him as an author or the ability to compare him to other authors.

Personally I think he's one of the true great authors this country has produced.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      From the other thread

Fantasy writing at its best isn't about the fantasy world; it's used as vehicle to say something about ours. I don't care what the genre is - I like a good story. ( Which is why I read Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Pratchett, Niven, Asimov, Dostoyevsky, Victor Hugo... )
      Adding to that, why do people assume that because you read fantasy you don't read 'serious' fiction. I devour books of all genres, including most of the classics (I made a point of it), and I'll read at least a couple off the booker shortlist every year. There's an incredible amount of snobbery in literature when it comes to sci fi and fantasy which I never quite understood, a fair bit of it stands comparison with any other genre on any level you wish to compare.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Which is why I read Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Pratchett, Niven, Asimov, Dostoyevsky, Victor Hugo... )
        Niven?

Pratchett?

The rest I respect but Larry Niven (used to write ignorant puff pieces for BYTE in the 1980s) and Pratchett, are not even remotely in the same ballpark as Dickens, Hugo et al.

That's just farking laughable.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Niven?

Pratchett?

The rest I respect but Larry Niven (used to write ignorant puff pieces for BYTE in the 1980s) and Pratchett, are not even remotely in the same ballpark as Dickens, Hugo et al.

Scratch Niven, but it's a not totally unreasonable to compare Pratchett and Dickens for example - but pointless since they they write in different genres, in different era's. But I'll say one thing they both have in common - they're superlative storytellers. Actually I'll some more - the volume of work they both produced is comparible, and equally you can pick fault with Dickens - he wasn't writing fantasy, but he wasn't exactly writing true to life characters or plausible real world stories either, gritty and grim as his social commentary might have been.

Comment

There's nothing that remarkable about the storylines in Dicken's books.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              Niven?

Pratchett?

You've taken the list out of context I wasn't suggesting that these authors are all the same calibre or even great literature. My point was I like to read books that have a good story. There's a difference between a "thundering good read" and "great literature". Niven, Asimov, Pratchett are in the former camp, Hugo et al are in both. ( For their best novels ). About half of Wilkie Collins books, for example, really aren't very good.

( And later Niven deteriorates - he used to write decent hard sci-fi, now his plots aren't easy to follow. Lazy writing. Has some good ideas then loosely tries to connect it all together ).

I doubt Niven or Pratchett will be considered great literature in a hundred years. Mervin Peake possibly. Rowling - never. Frank Herbert's Dune... maybe.

I've had to read modern English literature, as my kids have had to start reading at school. So far, I'm unimpressed. They seem to concentrate more on having a clever style than having a decent plot.
              Last edited by NotAllThere; 11 February 2009, 07:06.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                There's nothing that remarkable about the storylines in Dicken's books.
                Most of it is soap opera in book form. But he does use words beautifully!

I read Jane Eyre recently. That really was good. Though again, to modern eyes, the story line seems contrived.

Comment

From the other thread

Fantasy writing at its best isn't about the fantasy world; it's used as vehicle to say something about ours. I don't care what the genre is - I like a good story. ( Which is why I read Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Pratchett, Niven, Asimov, Dostoyevsky, Victor Hugo... )
                  Agree there. I've always thought that "High Noon" would make a good Startrek episode (possibly has for all I know); and Shatner once commented that playing Capt Kirk was very much like playing a king in Shakespeare. The genre is only the medium (and the medium is not the message).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    ...possibly has for all I know...
                    Yes, quite probably!

Comment

Love both Pratchett and Adams

The only writers that have made me laugh out loud whilst reading.
                      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                      X