• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

why would an agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    One tactic I use, although I'm not sure how effective it is as I'm fairly new to contracting, is that onec an agency has said they're putting me forward for a role, if another agency rings for the same role, I say somthing like...

"It sounds similar to a role I was talking about with another agency, similar location and similar job spec, but the previous agency wouldn't give me the end client's name. Can you check with the client put me forward if I'm not already?"

As I say mind, I'm currently 3 weeks away from finishing my first contract, so this may not be the best way to go about it...

Yeah right - like they can be bothered to check on your behalf - they'll just send it in anyway, lazy bar stewards

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      Yeah right - like they can be bothered to check on your behalf - they'll just send it in anyway, lazy bar stewards
      Dilemma:
      - CV not sent in at all = no contract.
      - CV sent in multiple times = client can't be arsed getting into arguments = no contract.
      - only way to avoid these horns = trust an agent's word.

What was my Plan B again?

Comment

What you really need to know is who does the client want to deal with? If they have a few contractors from one agent the chances are they’ll want to use the same.

The trouble is you often get several agents all scrabbling for one gig and you just don’t know who the preferred agent is.

You need to nobble an existing contractor and find out who they’re with.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          What you really need to know is who does the client want to deal with? If they have a few contractors from one agent the chances are they’ll want to use the same.

The trouble is you often get several agents all scrabbling for one gig and you just don’t know who the preferred agent is.

You need to nobble an existing contractor and find out who they’re with.
          How? If you don't know who is in there

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
            One tactic I use, although I'm not sure how effective it is as I'm fairly new to contracting, is that onec an agency has said they're putting me forward for a role, if another agency rings for the same role, I say somthing like...

"It sounds similar to a role I was talking about with another agency, similar location and similar job spec, but the previous agency wouldn't give me the end client's name. Can you check with the client put me forward if I'm not already?"

As I say mind, I'm currently 3 weeks away from finishing my first contract, so this may not be the best way to go about it...
            This happened to me, although i didnt ask for the agent to look but for some reason they took an itiiative to do so (think they had asupplied the client co before) and the other agent hadn't put me forward.

Comment

Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
              How? If you don't know who is in there
              No-one said it was easy, there have been numerous gigs where I would be the ideal candidate yet I miss the opportunity because I just don't know which pimp to pick.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
              X