• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: why would an agent

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "why would an agent"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
    How? If you don't know who is in there
    No-one said it was easy, there have been numerous gigs where I would be the ideal candidate yet I miss the opportunity because I just don't know which pimp to pick.

Leave a comment:

• Mart001
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    One tactic I use, although I'm not sure how effective it is as I'm fairly new to contracting, is that onec an agency has said they're putting me forward for a role, if another agency rings for the same role, I say somthing like...

"It sounds similar to a role I was talking about with another agency, similar location and similar job spec, but the previous agency wouldn't give me the end client's name. Can you check with the client put me forward if I'm not already?"

As I say mind, I'm currently 3 weeks away from finishing my first contract, so this may not be the best way to go about it...
    This happened to me, although i didnt ask for the agent to look but for some reason they took an itiiative to do so (think they had asupplied the client co before) and the other agent hadn't put me forward.

Leave a comment:

• robbie274
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    What you really need to know is who does the client want to deal with? If they have a few contractors from one agent the chances are they’ll want to use the same.

The trouble is you often get several agents all scrabbling for one gig and you just don’t know who the preferred agent is.

You need to nobble an existing contractor and find out who they’re with.
    How? If you don't know who is in there

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    What you really need to know is who does the client want to deal with? If they have a few contractors from one agent the chances are they’ll want to use the same.

The trouble is you often get several agents all scrabbling for one gig and you just don’t know who the preferred agent is.

You need to nobble an existing contractor and find out who they’re with.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Yeah right - like they can be bothered to check on your behalf - they'll just send it in anyway, lazy bar stewards
    Dilemma:
    - CV not sent in at all = no contract.
    - CV sent in multiple times = client can't be arsed getting into arguments = no contract.
    - only way to avoid these horns = trust an agent's word.

What was my Plan B again?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
    One tactic I use, although I'm not sure how effective it is as I'm fairly new to contracting, is that onec an agency has said they're putting me forward for a role, if another agency rings for the same role, I say somthing like...

"It sounds similar to a role I was talking about with another agency, similar location and similar job spec, but the previous agency wouldn't give me the end client's name. Can you check with the client put me forward if I'm not already?"

As I say mind, I'm currently 3 weeks away from finishing my first contract, so this may not be the best way to go about it...

Yeah right - like they can be bothered to check on your behalf - they'll just send it in anyway, lazy bar stewards

Leave a comment:

• TheBigD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    go direct?
    You know, going direct solves so many problems, we should all do it.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Apply for the same contract through several different pimps. One pimp told me earlier this week that he couldn’t send my CV for a role because he’d already met his ‘preferred supplier’ quota of two CVs per role.

I personally find it unethical to apply for one role through more than one agent, but agents and, most of all, ClientCos seem to do everything they can to encourage unethical behaviour, and if you’ve got to pay the mortgage, what else can you do?
    Why is that? Do you find it unethical to compare the lamb chops in Tesco and Sainsbury before you buy? Shouldn't you just pick one supermarket and go with whatever they have?

(Note: one may do so for one's own convenience but that's not the point).

(Or pork chops in Albert Heijn and Super de Boer, or whatever)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    That's very unfair. What can you do about that?
    Apply for the same contract through several different pimps. One pimp told me earlier this week that he couldn’t send my CV for a role because he’d already met his ‘preferred supplier’ quota of two CVs per role.

I personally find it unethical to apply for one role through more than one agent, but agents and, most of all, ClientCos seem to do everything they can to encourage unethical behaviour, and if you’ve got to pay the mortgage, what else can you do?

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    go direct?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Be put forward for another contract (or 2) by another agent.

hth

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    1. cv blocking. sometimes they can only put forward 3(say) cvs. Telling others they are put forward will stop them being put forward by other pimps.
    That's very unfair. What can you do about that?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by churkus View Post
    say they are going to forward you for a role, but not really put you frward for it at all?
    Because they are pure evil.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    1. cv blocking. sometimes they can only put forward 3(say) cvs. Telling others they are put forward will stop them being put forward by other pimps.
    2. to ask for references
    3. as a jolly jape to impress their colleagues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X