• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They've just locked the stationary cupboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thelace View Post
    At my last co. the directors went away on a 2 day strategy conference at a swish hotel and spa to devise a strategy to reduce costs

Managers.... flipless tulipters more like
    Another sign for sure. Spending what's left of their budget on corporate sounding jollies while they can.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Another sign for sure. Spending what's left of their budget on corporate sounding jollies while they can.
      Now then, what would happen if one of us, many of whom are Ltd directors, were to blow company funds on a 5* jolly whle knowing that our Ltd is in financial problems? If your Ltd ends up bankrupt and the receivers found out about this, you’d be taken to the cleaners; the same should happen in the case of corporate ‘directors’ who do this.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Every time things are about to go bad at a client site it always starts with them locking the stationary cupboard. It's a sign. It means the budget is so screwed they can't even trust people not to exceed their Biro quota.

Well they've just locked the cupboard here, and it wasn't exactly a treasure trove with anything worth pilfering. They buy only the cheapest no-name paper and pens, which usually don't work.
        Forget locking it, they've relocated it here! We used to have a little cupboard on every floor, but I have to go the 2nd floor if I want a bloody pen now!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Every time things are about to go bad at a client site it always starts with them locking the stationary cupboard. It's a sign. It means the budget is so screwed they can't even trust people not to exceed their Biro quota.

Well they've just locked the cupboard here, and it wasn't exactly a treasure trove with anything worth pilfering. They buy only the cheapest no-name paper and pens, which usually don't work.
          Must say, now you mention it, yes, that is a pattern I've noticed. One of the clients put up a book for you to fill in whenever you took anything from the stationary cupboard, about a month before they started laying people off.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
            Forget locking it, they've relocated it here! We used to have a little cupboard on every floor, but I have to go the 2nd floor if I want a bloody pen now!

Always a money-saver; pay people to walk around the building all day.

Comment

Last time I was with BoS I had to wait for the stationary cupboard to open ( it had opening times ) then head down, show my card and sign a receipt to get a one Biro pen.

If the person who ran that cupboard was in charge of investments, they might still have a bank.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                If the person who ran that cupboard was in charge of investments, they might still have a bank.
                I think you might have got to the root of the problem here. Many huge corporations employ large numbers of conscientious people who try to do their work to the best of their ability; unfortunately none of those people are given responsibility for anything important; that’s left to the cowboys and fly-by-nights who speak managementese.

Comment

They charge for pens at my current client!

(Mind you I am working for Parker )

Comment

Working...
                  X