• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pronunciation of Total

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The old "Milky Bar" adverts used to pronounce "Nestlé's" as Nessels, now they've gone all la di da Gunner Graham and it's NestLay!!!
    Nescafé. "Nescaffay" or "Nescaff"?
    Air Liquide. "Air Lickweed" or "Air Lickwid"?
    BNP Paribas. "BNP Pareebaa" or "BNP Parribass"?
    Christian Dior. "Kristiaan Deeorr" or "Kristiuhn Dyer"?
    Crédit Lyonnais. "Craydee Leeonay" or "Creddit Lionays"?
    Renault. "Rennow" or "Renawlt"?

etc etc.

"Totaal" doesn't seem like a big deal to me, if that's what the company is called.

Interestingly, on a different note, I was reading the other day that some French phrases which we use routinely in English aren't actually used by the French themselves: nom de plume, double entendre, panache, bon viveur and RSVP, for example.

Comment

Why when it isn't spelt that way?

(You do see where I'm going with this, don't you?)
      Lots of words are not pronounced as they are written.... in english

The point is/was that our mate Morgan has his name spelt T-S-V-A because that was phonetic in English..... Its not really his name (or more accurately it was not really his ancestors name) its just a representation of how his name sounds...... in ENGLISH. So why would a newsreader speaking in ENGLISH not pronounce it!

Is your "name" pronounced Church-Ill, Chur-Chill or even Kirk-Hill ?

Oh Yes!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Lots of words are not pronounced as they are written.... in english

The point is/was that our mate Morgan has his name spelt T-S-V-A because that was phonetic in English..... Its not really his name (or more accurately it was not really his ancestors name) its just a representation of how his name sounds...... in ENGLISH. So why would a newsreader speaking in ENGLISH not pronounce it!

Is your "name" pronounced Church-Ill, Chur-Chill or even Kirk-Hill ?

Oh Yes!!
        It's pronounced "Cholmondeley-Warner".

Comment

It's pronounced "Cholmondeley-Warner".
          Ahhh Hello Mr Charming-W*nker

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            Interestingly, on a different note, I was reading the other day that some French phrases which we use routinely in English aren't actually used by the French themselves: nom de plume, double entendre, panache, bon viveur and RSVP, for example.
            Cul de sac

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
              Minor gripe but is it just me who gets annoyed when every BBC report on the strikers says the company name is Totaaaal because it ez French owned.

Why can't they say Total properly. Will every firm in the news now be checked for it's ownership and pronounced in an accent suitable for the owning country ?
              OMG Little Englander Alert

It is pronounced 'Totaaaal' and always has been to anyone in the oil industry.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X