• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roots,

'I'm only looking at _a_ W-D-P, too far behind the pack on the _j_ front, I did some yonks back but it's long forgotten.'

hindsight is a funny thing and it may be a blessing in disguise that you are too far behind the pack on the _j_ front and therefore focusing on the _a_ front

the interesting thing I have been observing with the latest versions (jeez aren't we lucky to be at a customer who is always going for the new stuff) is,

the trend became to move everything to wdp J, but then it was noticed that customers were just wacking all the wdp J applications on the core component app servers and not scaling accordingly or adding more app servers only for the wdp J and therefore performance was going down

the only choice the customers had was a redesign and move the wdp J stuff onto separate federated wdp J servers, but how many want to do this or understand it or have the $$$

so.... then the next version came, and suddenly wdp J functionality started moving on the backend old skooool systems in the form of wdp A

to conclude my old skooool friend, wdp A might become your renaissence, just when folks were thinking it was going to be game over for the old backend developers whoc didn't know J, so the mother ship from WALLd has taken the decision to move all this onto the backend as wdp A

I guess this is because the backends are more easily scalable and also, instead of chucking everything into the wdp J cooking pot on the J app servers, by moving to wdp A, they actually keep the functionality separated by business area and therefore easier to size and scope and in the companies get money for.

to conclude, get into wdp A I think it will be big and pay good bucks

Milan.

Comment

It might be worth saving important documents in a second file format with Abiword under Ubuntu/Linux, as well as .doc (or not .doc at all). I saved something in a .doc format and when I came to retrieve it later, it wasn't readable. Open Office is probably okay though.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        Roots,

'I'm only looking at _a_ W-D-P, too far behind the pack on the _j_ front, I did some yonks back but it's long forgotten.'

hindsight is a funny thing and it may be a blessing in disguise that you are too far behind the pack on the _j_ front and therefore focusing on the _a_ front

the interesting thing I have been observing with the latest versions (jeez aren't we lucky to be at a customer who is always going for the new stuff) is,

the trend became to move everything to wdp J, but then it was noticed that customers were just wacking all the wdp J applications on the core component app servers and not scaling accordingly or adding more app servers only for the wdp J and therefore performance was going down

the only choice the customers had was a redesign and move the wdp J stuff onto separate federated wdp J servers, but how many want to do this or understand it or have the $$$

so.... then the next version came, and suddenly wdp J functionality started moving on the backend old skooool systems in the form of wdp A

to conclude my old skooool friend, wdp A might become your renaissence, just when folks were thinking it was going to be game over for the old backend developers whoc didn't know J, so the mother ship from WALLd has taken the decision to move all this onto the backend as wdp A

I guess this is because the backends are more easily scalable and also, instead of chucking everything into the wdp J cooking pot on the J app servers, by moving to wdp A, they actually keep the functionality separated by business area and therefore easier to size and scope and in the companies get money for.

to conclude, get into wdp A I think it will be big and pay good bucks

Milan.
        I think you are moving in the select world of big Co's with big pockets. None of the firms I have worked for including some very big Co's have any Java applications development relating to their .Net systems. I doubt any of them will be moving that way in the forseeable future but who knows. As far as I can see it's vendor attempts to flog more s/w that the clients don't need and defo would be advised to steer clear of.

Comment

ok, without wanting to sound showing off, I have only worked in big landscapes during my .net career so I cannot speak for the small customers,

I've been on NW since before it was called NW ie since early days of the J WAS

my point is, i've only ever been at customers who are running the news stuff and in a serious way - not just dipping their feet into the pond

and each implementation I have been on there has been a lot of custom dev

and like i was saying, these customers are now being forced down the A WDP route

personally having seen the evolution and the problems along the way it does make sense

of course, the vendor can be accused of profiteering, but who are we to complain about that, we only benefit from it

this technology is still evolving and has to find it's direction

atb,

Milan.

Comment

Shall we have a quick poll? Which reads the other's data format better, MS Office or Open Office?

Nah, let's not bother.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's not great IMO. Styles are terrible, and import/export to MSWord format is sucky - you can love it but if you can't communicate with the rest of the world why bother.
              WHS - I use it on my Linux laptop, but not anywhere else.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'll concur - now is good time to get into a-wdp. If you've done any swing or the like, (anything MVC) then it's a doddle. But many old style a developers won't be able to cope - it's the same with a-objects. ( Similar to the difference between vb and .net).

walld have been investing a lot in a over the recent years. At the .net (ahem) developer network community day there were some fairly interesting demos of the stuff that can be done with a-wdp. flex islands et. al. readily integrable.

I'm stuck with bsp at the moment, but start a project in april with hopefully lots of a-wdp.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

morning NotAllThere

I've had a play with .net's version of jsp's

he he in i think 2004 blogged the .net developer with a how to !! something like to how to make your first x-sp for .net

I never got the hang of internal tables though what a confusing nightmare, developing an app was fun but wouldn't like to do it full time

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    I never got the hang of internal tables though what a confusing nightmare, developing an app was fun but wouldn't like to do it full time...
                    Good. You're not competing with me... I've no problems with itabs, even deep ones. It's just a question of being able to visualise the data structures. But judging by the number of questions on .netDN, I think you're not the only one who finds it confusing.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

no no, no competition,

development is all yours

i'll stick to keeping the J components landscape running

which as you know also presents ENOUGH challenges :-)

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X