• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good service from Dell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Dell, good service, surely not!

Back in the day when I was a permie, the IT guys used to put me on the phone to them as they could never understand the Irish accents.
    They'll all have Polish accents soon.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      As a support monkey on a site that has a hardware contract with Dell I deal with them quite a bit, I’ve always found their service to be prompt and courteous.

One thing puzzles me though, whenever I ring their helpline an Indian guy takes the asset number then always transfers me to someone in Scotland or Ireland, are Indians so cheap that they can afford to have this extra step in the system just so the European techies don’t have to??
      I think Dell have two levels of service. The transfer to Europe for their large business customers and the Indian numpty for the rest

tim

Comment

I once had to return a Dell server. We are talking a serious beast here that was very heavy and over £4k is cost. Each box that they sent for the return was half the size of the actual server. I kept on requesting proper packaging, sending measurements of the server, sending them the model number, pictures everything in the hope that they sent be correct packaging. In the end the Indian numpty just requested that I wrap the box around the server as far as it would go with sticky tape and post it like that with no wrapping. ! No joke honest. I asked for a confirmation email and posted it after taking lots of pictures.

A real shame though because it was such a nice machine. I dread to think of the state it turned up in.

Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
          I once had to return a Dell server. We are talking a serious beast here that was very heavy and over £4k is cost. Each box that they sent for the return was half the size of the actual server. I kept on requesting proper packaging, sending measurements of the server, sending them the model number, pictures everything in the hope that they sent be correct packaging. In the end the Indian numpty just requested that I wrap the box around the server as far as it would go with sticky tape and post it like that with no wrapping. ! No joke honest. I asked for a confirmation email and posted it after taking lots of pictures.

A real shame though because it was such a nice machine. I dread to think of the state it turned up in.

Madness.
          Please post a link to a photo
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            They'll all have Polish accents soon.
            NO, they will all have Polished accents soon as the Oxbridge types made recently redundant from the investment banking business try to find jobs in PC retailing that will keep petrol in their Maseratis.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I've changed my Aviator to a picture of the monster Dell PC with the packaging that they kept on sending me.

Comment

I've always found Dell helpful. I was after a particular adapter and having problems identifying the right one from the website, they called me up and helped sort it out.

I think Dell are no better or worse than anyone else.. they have a similar cock-up ratio but that means more actual cock-ups due to their huge size...
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thought there might be a few negative comments.

I'll let you know when it arrives.

For the weekend I'm borrowing a power supply from clientCo
                  Originally posted by cailin maith
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Just to follow up on this one.

New charger arrived yesterday (the snow didn't stop them, the daily wail will be pleased).

Admittedly it was a simple task for Dell to achieve. But I'm happy anyway.
                    Originally posted by cailin maith
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Different service levels.

My experience with Dell.

Corporate with enhanced support deals get the Europeans. You should get a special number.

Joe Public and small business get the 'Best Shored' if you phone up with a Corporate service tag you get transferred to someone in Europe, last time from Scotland who is able to deviate from the script.

Server support was dealt with by the Irish guys.

Dell on site service is outsourced but tightly controlled, we had really good support.

It did go off the boil about 2 - 3 years ago but its back on track now.

I prefer it to some of our other suppliers.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X