• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    All very valid. I factor the total cost of the flat when budgeting. i.e. broadband, elec, council tax etc and definitely prefer it if I can get an all in rate so it's just the one contract.

It's just a personal thing I guess. I find 'my own place' a more comfortable environment of an evening and like being able to prepare my own food.
    good on yer.
    How long have you been at it PondLife ?

If I work in Manchester, £1500 pw, costs £750 profit £750
    If I work in London, £1500 pw, costs £950 profit £550

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      good on yer.
      How long have you been at it PondLife ?

If I work in Manchester, £1500 pw, costs £750 profit £750
      If I work in London, £1500 pw, costs £950 profit £550

In the last 10 years I've worked within a 1 hour commute from home for a total of 4 months. I use 1 or 2 x day rate as reasonable monthly costs plus food and booze depending on the city.

Not everyones cup of tea I grant you. After a while I found I just can't face looking at the same four walls of a hotel/B+B room and so tended to go out and get lego everynight.

Current situation is a reasonable flat within easy walking of supermarkets and bars in a decent part of town. I could find cheaper but why be miserable four days a week. Plus the hassle of carting all your possesions home of a thursday was just a PITA.

The other prob I have with hotels, especially on big projects, is that they're always full of the consultants on the project. The last thing I want to do is spend my evenings in the bar listening to them winge on about work all night.

Comment

In the last 10 years I've worked within a 1 hour commute from home for a total of 4 months.
        Lucky you. I haven't worked within a 1 hour commute from home since 1985. Though to be fair I was on a commute just over 1 hour for most of the 1990s.

Comment

In the last 10 years I've worked within a 1 hour commute from home for a total of 4 months. I use 1 or 2 x day rate as reasonable monthly costs plus food and booze depending on the city.

Not everyones cup of tea I grant you. After a while I found I just can't face looking at the same four walls of a hotel/B+B room and so tended to go out and get lego everynight.

Current situation is a reasonable flat within easy walking of supermarkets and bars in a decent part of town. I could find cheaper but why be miserable four days a week. Plus the hassle of carting all your possesions home of a thursday was just a PITA.

The other prob I have with hotels, especially on big projects, is that they're always full of the consultants on the project. The last thing I want to do is spend my evenings in the bar listening to them winge on about work all night.
          14 years here. Probably one third working near home

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Yes, you do have to make certain that your partners is OK with it and understands that you will not be out every night having fun.
            Its the out having fun bit when the problems start....

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Pretty much in total agreement with this. I worked away for two and a half years, and did the B&B thing for the first few months whilst I got the lay of the land (with the contract and the commute) but a house share was far superior.

In a B&B you end up looking at the same old menu in the evening and it's mostly pub grub stodge so after a while you just run the risk of turning into a lardarse. The point above about the other consultants warbling on about work is bloody true as well. Plus the living out of a suitcase / boot of your car is hard work.

A room in a shared house was the way to go for me. Highly recommended provided you don't share with a twenty-something dance student! My knob said yes, my marriage said no.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                So far I've been pretty lucky and all my gigs have been close to home, so no staying away overnight.

Current situation is not good and I'm starting to widen the scope a bit which will mean accepting traveling for gigs and staying away mon-fri.

What do you guys do for accommodation? Is there any secrets here I need to know.. I'll be happy with a laptop and mobile broadband in the evenings to keep in touch and do random stuff.. what about getting good places, or discounts for block bookings etc in nice places.. any tips?
                Been working away for 4 months now. I think the advice above is pretty sound. I spent the first couple of weeks in a B&B, just to ensure that the gig was going to be OK, and that I was OK with location. Once that was sorted, checked through the local papers and supermarket notice boards for spare rooms. When I did get a room, I made sure that the notice period in my tenancy agreement was the same as the notice period on my contract.

It is hard on family life mind...so I'd reccomend a long chat with the misses and make sure that you're both OK with it.
                If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
                  Its the out having fun bit when the problems start....
                  Been there, Done that, almost got divorced over it!
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Another thing that you have to learn to juggle is advance booking/commitment. Usually on flights (may not apply in this case) you get a much better price if you book in advance; and in a flat you may have to commit to a lease. When you start the contract you may not know whether it will last at all, and later they may be repeated renewals with short notice every time. You may be OK with that (I am), but if you can't book travel because you don't know whether you'll need it, it will cost you.

Personally I finally worked out that I get renewed more often than not, so I just plan as if I will: the loss when I don't is more than offset by the gain when I do.

For example, I like to fly from Birmingham rather than Heathrow (anywhere rather than Heathrow). It is not unusual for Lufthansa's online prices to be:

6 weeks in advance: 99.00
                    5 weeks in advance: 173.00
                    4 weeks in advance: 210.00
                    3 weeks in advance: 260.00
                    etc to 1 week: 580.00

so advance booking is well worth while.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

For example, I like to fly from Birmingham rather than Heathrow (anywhere rather than Heathrow).
                      Would agree unless you are going out of T5 which is an absolute pleasure now that the initial hiccups have been resolved.

Comment

Working...
                      X