• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
    Wasn't there a guy on here used to use a camper van when working away? I'm often tempted by the idea. Maybe when it is warmer.
    I’ve never thought of that but I’ve always fancied the idea of an old VW camper van. Trouble is, most ClientCos in NL won’t let you use their carpark so I’d need public transport from campsite to ClientCo, and that’s often difficult out of town. Shall research further.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Generally stay in a reasonable hotel for the first few days/weeks to get the lay of the land and then get a flat depending on the length of the gig.

Otherwise, find somewhere reasonable and work out a rate. It's always worth checking what the client has negotiated.

Edit: I am willing to pay slightly more (per month) for the flat than the hotel just for the better standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Generally stay in a reasonable hotel for the first few days/weeks to get the lay of the land and then get a flat depending on the length of the gig.

Otherwise, find somewhere reasonable and work out a rate. It's always worth checking what the client has negotiated.

Edit: I am willing to pay slightly more (per month) for the flat than the hotel just for the better standard of living.
        I used to do that but I found that sufficient alcohol can make staying in someones back room tolerable. It's a tulip life though, I will grant you that, but profitable

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Beware bed bugs!!!

Hi

Just a small word of warning on working away.

On a six month stint working away in Dundee last year, in what was ostensibly quite a luxurious B&B, I was bitten to bits by bed bugs! So bad that I had to throw away luggage and clothes when I got back home at the weekend for fear of infesting the house!

I know this sort of thing is rare (a lot of people think these little beggars are a myth for bed time stories), but it really is worth trying to avoid. When you first get into a room, check the sheets and pillow covers for either small blood spots, smears or what look like small black ink spots. If you see anything like that, refuse to stay in the room. You'll be saving yourself a lot of hassle!

Other than that, working away can be fun and a great oppotunity to see new places at someone else's expense. Enjoy!

There ends the public health announcement.

L

Comment

Often, although not a fixed rule, you'll find a B&B cheaper than a flat all things considered. First off there is the council tax, none of that on B&B. Then there is the letting agent hanging onto your deposit for often bogus reasons (a guy here has just had that for a problem existing when he moved in). You can often claim against your tax for a B&B, but not an apartment. All the messing with paperwork costs time...

Comment

I am working away from the troubles of my life,

I am working away oh to find a better day,

I am working away...
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It ****s your marrage up as well after a while.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                  Often, although not a fixed rule, you'll find a B&B cheaper than a flat all things considered. First off there is the council tax, none of that on B&B. Then there is the letting agent hanging onto your deposit for often bogus reasons (a guy here has just had that for a problem existing when he moved in). You can often claim against your tax for a B&B, but not an apartment. All the messing with paperwork costs time...
                  All very valid. I factor the total cost of the flat when budgeting. i.e. broadband, elec, council tax etc and definitely prefer it if I can get an all in rate so it's just the one contract.

It's just a personal thing I guess. I find 'my own place' a more comfortable environment of an evening and like being able to prepare my own food.

Comment

All very valid. I factor the total cost of the flat when budgeting. i.e. broadband, elec, council tax etc and definitely prefer it if I can get an all in rate so it's just the one contract.

It's just a personal thing I guess. I find 'my own place' a more comfortable environment of an evening and like being able to prepare my own food.
                    I balance the greater comfort of your own place versus the laziness of hotel + restaurants (though it does ruin the waistline). A laptop, a book, and a drink are much the same in either.

However, when I am in a flat my OH is more likely to come and spend some weekends over with me rather than me having to commute home. This gives us some time away, a bit of variety (you don't see the same things in the working week), and saves me a commute - and lets her see what a pig the commute is that I do every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
                      It ****s your marrage up as well after a while.
                      Yes, you do have to make certain that your partners is OK with it and understands that you will not be out every night having fun.
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X