• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overqualified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Maybe she got the job without even opening her mouth.

Just annoying really because it's probably one of the best interviews I've ever done, 45 mins long.. answered everything thrown at me, backed up with knowledge/experience/etc.. when I left the interview I was walked back out the building with the older guy, he said "I shouldn't say this but you did a very good interview.. but obviously it depends on X (the other guy)"... just got a bad vibe off this other guy all through it, he couldn't make eye contact and kept asking strange questions like "what attracts you to this role? It's far from glamorous"... just had a feeling there was something up with him and I was correct. I know this because there were 2 posts available and 3 candidates, and the story I heard today off the agency was that they had restructured it and decided they only needed 1 person.
    Try not to dwell on it. Move onwards and upwards.

Comment

kept asking strange questions like "what attracts you to this role? It's far from glamorous"... just had a feeling there was something up with him and I was correct. I know this because there were 2 posts available and 3 candidates, and the story I heard today off the agency was that they had restructured it and decided they only needed 1 person.
      During the interviews for my last two gigs, the interviewers were hell bent on making the roles sound guff and saying I wouldn't like them. They offered them anyway.

Some clients really need to get a clue about interview technique.

Comment

Yeah, just one of those days I guess.. dry job market, 532523523 applicants for each job, lower and lower rates.. then fed back bullsh*t like "overqualified"..

Just felt like sharing my frustration with you all, I'm sure I'm not alone.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Just annoying too as it was 20 mins from my doorstep on what would have been my best rate ever..

Anyway, sorry. Rant over!!
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Ive been involved in interviews whereby people have been rejected for being too good and experienced.

Client co knew the role on offer was dull, simple and unrewarding and felt that the guy in question would think so too and most likely leave as soon as he could get something else fixed up.

Client co were really looking for someone who would suck up tulipe through a straw and be happy. Client co ended up going with a grad with just a couple of years experience, and he worked out great. He was even enthusiastic about the tulipe through a straw action, almost like it was his first taste.

Consider yourself lucky to have missed out.
            Last edited by Pickle2; 27 January 2009, 17:21.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
              ...Client co were really looking for someone who would suck up tulipe through a straw and be happy. Client co ended up going with a grad with just a couple of years experience, and he worked out great. He was even enthusiastic about the tulipe through a straw action, almost like it was his first taste.

Consider yourself lucky to have missed out.
              And by the sound of it, it was 2 jobs rolled into 1. A lucky miss

Comment

Just annoying too as it was 20 mins from my doorstep on what would have been my best rate ever..

Anyway, sorry. Rant over!!
                I know the feeling, I've had crap excuses given to me for not getting a gig.

As everyone else says, onwards and upwards.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Ofcourse, the excuse is bollocks. I have been for sevral jobs where in the interview it became apparent that I knew far more about the technology than the client chap did. I never get those jobs. Sometimes it is a fine line between impressing the client enough to get the job and scaring them off!
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by smiff View Post
                    During the interviews for my last two gigs, the interviewers were hell bent on making the roles sound guff and saying I wouldn't like them. They offered them anyway.

Some clients really need to get a clue about interview technique.
                    But surely that's better than pretending that they are interesting (development) and then when you get there giving you something dull (testing) to do.

Or, what (I have seen at least twice) oversell a a job as a "team leader" role coordinating the work of X staff, and say that it's critical to the sucess of the project when what they really want is someone to spend their week doing clear case merging to produce software releases.

tim

Comment

Ring them up and offer to send them a school leaver with a "...for Dummies" book instead if that would make them happier.

Comment

Working...
                      X