• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overqualified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys, been reading all the replies and reflecting on the situation and feeling a bit better about it now. I guess it's just with the Xmas period, then the sitting around waiting part.. 2 good gigs come up in the space of a week and get knocked back from both with sh*t excuses. The excuse on last week's interview was "chose a candidate who had slightly better leadership ability".. I then see the job re-advertised on jobserve the same night.

From 2 weeks of preparing, interviewing, then waiting.. I've learned a few things:-

1. Agents really are just in it for themselves, and will be nice to your face but the second you're not worth anything to them they'll drop you like a stone. They also tell lies. (I knew all this already, but it's been proven quite forcefully this past fortnight).

2. Someone said it here I think "never love a job you don't have".. well I went with that philosophy, I guess the frustration is more the job market than not getting the gig. The reasons for not getting I know are complete bulls**t and I was offered more comprehensive feedback which quite frankly I don't care to even read.. it serves no purpose as the information is only useful to them, and the next interview I go to will have a completely different expectation/interpretation/acceptance criteria to please.

3. It doesn't matter how much you know, or what you know.. if someone at the other end is insecure about one-upmanship you're f**ked from the kick-off, which I quite honestly believe to be the case this week.

I'll be back on jobserve tomorrow morning.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Just another interesting one here.. I'm always wondering whether it's a good thing or not to take off your suit jacket once you get sat down at the interview table.

Sitting being interviewed in your suit jacket to me seems a bit too formal and ridgid.. then again, I think taking it off perhaps makes you seem too casual, almost like you're making yourself at home from the offset.

Yesterday's interview I decided to observe what the clients were wearing, both sat down with suit jackets on so I 'followed suit'.. (pardon the pun).
      Last edited by chris79; 27 January 2009, 22:27.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        Just another interesting one here.. I'm always wondering whether it's a good thing or not to take off your suit jacket once you get sat down at the interview table.

Sitting being interviewed in your suit jacket to me seems a bit too formal and ridgid.. then again, I think taking it off perhaps makes you seem to casual, almost like you're making yourself at home from the offset.

Yesterday's interview I decided to observe what the clients were wearing, both sat down with suit jackets on so I 'followed suit'.. (pardon the pun).
        I never take my jacket off, unless they do. Sort of etiquette. If they do and you don't then subliminally that could construe something, also the contrary is true I think.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I never take my jacket off, .
          No, neither do I. This means that I don't have to bother ironing my shirt sleeves.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
            No, neither do I. This means that I don't have to bother ironing my shirt sleeves.

tim
            whs
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
              Chris, consider this advice carefully. I'm sure it soesn't apply to you but you never know.

Take a good look in the mirror - What do you see? If you see any of the following, you'll know what to do to rectify you initial impression.
              - Out of shape
              - Puffy skin from drinking too much or staying out too late/not enough sleep
              - Stained teeth
              - Bad (stupid) haircut or unkempt and overdue for a style makeover
              - Podgy shape
              - Bad breath
              - Shabby smelly suit
              - Old dirty shoes
              - Ungroomed or untrimmed hair coming out of ears or nose
              - Dirty spectacles. etc etc etc
              - Long dirty fingernails
              That must be really bad breath
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                ..... the next interview I go to will have a completely different expectation/interpretation/acceptance criteria to please.

......It doesn't matter how much you know, or what you know.. if someone at the other end is insecure about one-upmanship you're f**ked from the kick-off, which I quite honestly believe to be the case this week..
                The guy who owns the gold makes the rules.
                If a f*ckwit has the power over you, learn to suck up to him - It ain't gonna kill you is it?

Anyway, if you are aware of the highlighted bit, then you must recognise that you have to change the way you project yourself if you're in that situation again.
                It doesn't mean you have to be untrue to yourself, its just that you must only reveal what the interviewer wants to see in that first brief meeting.
                The easiest way to so this is to reveal very little.

The biggest problem we all face now is that no-one is going to hire someone who is a threat to themselves...

ESPECIALLY WITH CURRENT CLIMATE...

Just remember that interviews get better the more you have them

Comment

Working...
                X