• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replacing Domestic Oil Tank - anyone ever done this themselves?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Mayeb you just had a duff one then. I cooked all sorts on mine. You could even stir fry on it if you took the top plate off of the fire box and sat the wok over the burner flame. Had to watch out for the fumes though
    Did you ever cook a medium-rare fillet steak on one?

I have ruined an abattoir's-worth of top quality beef on the stupid thing. It just doesn't get hot enough.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      I fear that feeding the large hungry hounds would probably cost more that converting to gas if you average it out over 2-3 years.
      Good point.

Geese and a stroppy ram it is then.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

They certainly do - mine's in the classic cream coloured enamel but the British racing green looks the part too.
      Overlooking the patriotism for a moment, British racing green just doesn't seem appropriate for an extremely heavy oven, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
        Good point.

Geese and a stroppy ram it is then.

Overlooking the patriotism for a moment, British racing green just doesn't seem appropriate for an extremely heavy oven, does it?
        No, but the bloke who reconditioned mine said he'd just done one for Jordan in bubblegum pink ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Did you ever cook a medium-rare fillet steak on one?

I have ruined an abattoir's-worth of top quality beef on the stupid thing. It just doesn't get hot enough.
          Yep, no problems at all. Sear each side on the top plate and chuck it in the oven to finish.

Sounds like you may need to adjust your burner. If it's been set too low it wont get hot enough on the top plate.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            No, but the bloke who reconditioned mine said he'd just done one for Jordan in bubblegum pink ffs!
            Pity he didn't stuff the brainless trout in there at the same time.

Are implants flammable? Xenophon?

Comment

As a child, we moved to a 500-year-old Cornish Farmhouse, complete with 3-foot thick (but not waterproof) granite walls. It had a proper, coal-fuelled Aga... we bought it from a proper farming couple and I think at the time this was the only heating in the house.

I don't recall any problems cooking on it, but I can advise against opening the furnace door and throwing a mug of cold water inside.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                As a child, we moved to a 500-year-old Cornish Farmhouse, complete with 3-foot thick (but not waterproof) granite walls. It had a proper, coal-fuelled Aga... we bought it from a proper farming couple and I think at the time this was the only heating in the house.

I don't recall any problems cooking on it, but I can advise against opening the furnace door and throwing a mug of cold water inside.
                Sounds identical to the one I had, including the cornish cottage, except it had been converted to oil. Looked as though the house had been built around it.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I can see where you went wrong there.

It's easier if you put the water in a pan and put that on the hot plate on top. Your approach makes it very difficult to get the hot water out.

Comment

Working...
                  X