• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye-bye Barclays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    No, she's wrong - Barclays have already pre-declared 2008 profit exceeding analyst expectations.
    They also announced that a dividend announcement will take place 2nd half 09 (it is currently ceased). But that was when the stock price was double what it is now.
    Ah crap! - Can you just pretend that I was right, so that Cyber-dicksplat doesn't have a gloat?
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      You shouldn’t care because the whole thing’s a big fruit machine. The fact that a share went down says nothing about whether it will go up or down in five minutes, five weeks or five years time. You’ve fallen for the Monte Carlo fallacy, just like millions of others.
      Absolutely. This is why techies make the worst traders.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Ah crap! - Can you just pretend that I was right, so that Cyber-dicksplat doesn't have a gloat?
        Well, it was worth a try - do you work in the city?
        Try RBS - they just announced the biggest loss in UK corporate history.
        Bored.

Comment

No, she's wrong - Barclays have already pre-declared 2008 profit exceeding analyst expectations.
          They also announced that a dividend announcement will take place 2nd half 09 (it is currently ceased). But that was when the stock price was double what it is now.
          What were these wonderful ‘analysts’ expecting? Profits will almost always exceed or fail to reach analysts’ expectations simply because analysts are guessing, and the chance of one chosen analyst guessing it right is about a squazillion to one.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Absolutely. This is why techies make the worst traders.
            Not good enough at BSing people into believing our 'quantitative analysis'.

Comment

Well, it was worth a try - do you work in the city?
              Try RBS - they just announced the biggest loss in UK corporate history.
              Well, I work in "a" city, does that count?
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

you guys need to look through the tulipe - Barcap are onto a winner with there recent acq from Lehman - in fact it is already making millions for them.

The retail bank has an issue from what I can tell - being honest with the right downs and also deciding how to reflect that in the balance sheet. This I beleive is the issue - but yday's short selling was largely responsible for the share price fall.

If Barclays have to do another right down of more than £10 billion - it is BYE BYE. However this looks unlikely and I would suspect some creative accounting can do well to buy time and get in the profits in the hope that they hit gold when recovery begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                  you guys need to look through the tulipe - Barcap are onto a winner with there recent acq from Lehman - in fact it is already making millions for them.

The retail bank has an issue from what I can tell - being honest with the right downs and also deciding how to reflect that in the balance sheet. This I beleive is the issue - but yday's short selling was largely responsible for the share price fall.

If Barclays have to do another right down of more than £10 billion - it is BYE BYE. However this looks unlikely and I would suspect some creative accounting can do well to buy time and get in the profits in the hope that they hit gold when recovery begins.
                  fraud

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    You shouldn’t care because the whole thing’s a big fruit machine. The fact that a share went down says nothing about whether it will go up or down in five minutes, five weeks or five years time. You’ve fallen for the Monte Carlo fallacy, just like millions of others.
                    What is it exactly that you think I've fallen for?
                    I've already said that I don't own any shares, so how is it that I'm like millions of others, because I've posted the share price a couple of times on a contractor website. How can you infer from this that I've fallen for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                      What is it exactly that you think I've fallen for?
                      I've already said that I don't own any shares, so how is it that I'm like millions of others, because I've posted the share price a couple of times on a contractor website. How can you infer from this that I've fallen for anything?
                      Oh OK, I thought you were watching your own money go down the pan.

Comment

Working...
                      X