• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What renewable energy is this then? A bunch of windmills in Scotland are hardly going to keep the lights on for long.
    Exactly my point, we are no where near a viable re-newable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      If the Russians decide they want their "spheres of influence" back, they may decide to do it sooner rather than later, before the Yanks have absorbed them into NATO and planted nuclear weapons on their soil.

That was what Georgia was all about. The Yanks encouraged the Georgians in order to test Russia. They got their answer and it wasn't good from an American point of view.
      There is a view that regards this as a continuation of the West-Central-East European pendulum where pwer swings back and forth over the last 250 yrs or so. Noce idea but I'm not sure how well it will stand up.Still, wtf will 'europe' do when russia starts putting itself about a bit more. I'm guessing absolutely nothing other than hot air and appeasement.

The Europe at war thing is something that I've given a fair bit of thought to lately and I would be surprised if something unpleasent doesn't happen. As an entity, Europe is way beyond the decadent stage as it is (for the moment) stinking rich and incredibly weak - the historical precedents for countries/empires at this stage surviving is not very promising.

If you look at things on a national level, there is an upwelling of nationalist retardism in many wealthy countries that has been building up during a sustained boom. This will likely skyrocket during a prolonged slump if the past is anything to go by. Whether this will lead to local balkan type situations or the breakup of the EU will be i

Comment

All I can predict it this :

The next World War will be fought not over territory for the sake of it, but for the resouces the territory contains.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          This is a good question. AFAIK there is no provision for this.

When the United States of America was formed, some suggested a provision for states to secede from the Union. It was argued against, that there was nothing to prevent a state from seceding, so that a special provision was not needed. Later of course Lincoln argued that since there was no provision for a state to secede, it was not allowed, and could be resisted even against the wishes of the people of such a state, by the then bloodiest conflict ever seen, if need be.
          Indeed there is provision. Countries have retained their central banks, printing presses and mints. In fact each country design and mints its own coins. These central banks send representatives to the ECB who then vote on interest rates and other monetary issues. In fact it is desirable for there to be an exit so that if a country starts "printing money" or spending too much it can be pressured to leave the Euro one through a legal process. The structures are in place in each country where they could easily introduce their own currency if they so wished.

I find it sad in the UK that there is this perception that the EU shares the British Empire culture that still persists in the UK. The continentals have long since shed this, but some Brits are itching to get back into their Spitfires and reignite WWII.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I find it sad in the UK that there is this perception that the EU shares the British Empire culture that still persists in the UK. The continentals have long since shed this, but some Brits are itching to get back into their Spitfires and reignite WWII.
            What are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
            X