• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Like 2001 all over again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
    Looking at this page it’s not easy to get in but could be quite a nice life;

Eurostar;
    Pay: £45,566 for 35 hour, four day week including Sundays
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
      Someone I know was a train driver, then he became a bus driver, then a prison worker, then a social worker.

Then he emigrated.

Comment

Originally posted by padinka View Post
        http://jobstats.co.uk/

Strewth!

Padinka
        Ouch. My NY resoultion is to stick my head in the sand and ignore all this media hype rubbish about job losses.

Oh, and Happy New Year all, I'm back for 15 days and then the bench looms ....

Comment

Don't fancy the trauma associated with being up close and personal to a suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
            Don't fancy the trauma associated with being up close and personal to a suicide.
            I heard once (probably mince) that a driver, over the course of his career, will see 2 suicides.

Still, you could probably milk a Year off with full pay.

Comment

Mate if you want high pay for doing nothing go into public sector, a relative of mine just started straight from uni as a Mayoral assistant, from what I can work out this is basically a PA job and is on £31k.

Why oh why did I study A-Levels, a tough engineering degree when it still took me 5 years IT experience to earn that amount!? (A while ago now though)

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Why oh why did I study A-Levels, a tough engineering degree when it still took me 5 years IT experience to earn that amount!? (A while ago now though)
                That happened to me when Thatcher kicked off a police recruitment campaign. A string of O-levels, A-levels and a degree, 4 years in IT and several promotions later and an 18 year old plod was on the same as me.

Plus the 18 year old plod could get paid overtime.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Holy crap that's bad.

That said there is always the Christmas Dip. Things will recover a bit in February as they always do.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Scary thing is .....it hasn't really started yet.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Scary thing is .....it hasn't really started yet.
                      Front page of CUK (if anyone reads this) says Global IT spending to recover in 2010 and that “IT executives have generally been showing spending restraint even before the current recession”.

Could be tosh though. When push comes to shove firms will just run their old systems on a shoestring for many years if they have to.
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X