• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Like 2001 all over again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I heard once (probably mince) that a driver, over the course of his career, will see 2 suicides.

Still, you could probably milk a Year off with full pay.
    I can’t remember the figure but I heard that Indian train drivers run over a ridiculous number of people every year, not necessarily suicide often just stupid.

This happens in India BTW.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      That happened to me when Thatcher kicked off a police recruitment campaign. A string of O-levels, A-levels and a degree, 4 years in IT and several promotions later and an 18 year old plod was on the same as me.

Plus the 18 year old plod could get paid overtime.
      I felt like a bit of a fraud encouraging our young student to study hard for her A-levels (in which she did well). It looks more and more like the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I can’t remember the figure but I heard that Indian train drivers run over a ridiculous number of people every year, not necessarily suicide often just stupid.

Clarification edit of the year so far

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Clarification edit of the year so far
          I thought I'd avoid any sillyness.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I thought I'd avoid any sillyness.
            Best stay off this site then.

Comment

A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
              did

Comment

But do you notice it in the real world?

I've just gone back contracting at potentially the worst time in history - and yet I finished a contract on Friday, started a new one on Monday (on more money) and turned down another one. This was not only the worst time in history, but also the worst time of the year as well.

And I'm just an average jobbing code monkey.

Similar things happened during the last downturn as well, so don't listen to anyone and carry on as normal.

Comment

You're not wrong

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBkguuaGWA

(it's a near-miss by the way - no gore to be seen)

Comment

A mate of mine is a train driver, he started as a porter at Temple Meads station in Bristol and worked his way up to ticket collector and then driver, they have an in-house training program that’s free to employees, he done all that in about 5 years and now earns about 36k which isn't too bad considering where he started.
                    Bristol? Never a good place to start anything.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      ... Eurostar;
                      Pay: £45,566 for 35 hour, four day week including Sundays
                      Talk about cushy! All you need do is prop the dead man's handle on with a plank, and settle down for a nice nap until just before the train pulls into Kings Cross or Paris as the case may be.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X