• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Dog [Springer Spaniel]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it is 06:00am and the wife is still going on about getting the dogs

However! she agrees that it is in fact Cocker Spaniels that we want

Found this web site so I will investigate further...

<link removed by request>
    Last edited by administrator; 14 August 2013, 19:35. Reason: Link removed
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

I agree getting a rescue dog is a great idea, it seems foolish to pay big money for a cat or dog as long as you can put some time in to shop around, and not get pushed into taking whichever dog they want to get rid of.

A greyhound sounds awful, why wouldn't you want something a bit more furry?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I still maintain a Jack is your best bet, as long as you don't let it outside when a postman may be around.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I still maintain a Jack is your best bet, as long as you don't let it outside when a postman may be around.
          Jacks are not the best dogs if you have kids around imo. They can be aggro and snappy with children.

Comment

I tried a rescued Greyhound. They are pretty "institutionalised" when you first get them. Like someone else said they were doing the laying around until there is food or walks, and on the walks chasing anything that moved.

Takes a lot of effort to get them out of it, but I felt I got a really good dog after a few months. Great with the kids. Problem is you get them about 4 years old, and they nearly all develop bone cancer at about 10 years, which is heart breaking for such an athletic animal.

Have a fox terrier now as living in the country they are good for keeping the vermin down. Dead easy to train and so does lots of tricks.

Comment

We have a bi-lingual springer-spaniel/collie cross bitch. Very intelligent in both English and Japanese knowing about 50 words in each language and still learning.

Spaniels are very loyal and loving dogs and excellent with kids. They are also very protective, or at least ours has become since my wife became pregnant.

As for excercise, one hour a day running on the common near our house keeps her happy and docile.

Comment

We had welsh border collies when I was growing up - fantastic intelligent dogs.
                But I would really recommend going to a rescue centre, there are so many dogs who need good homes.
                Also many breeds of dog have their own rescue society so try googling for them.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

springers need a hell of a lot of exercise, a run round the local park is not enough.

a few mile walk and lots of running for them

also look for a decent dog trainer, as they can be a tad nutty and boisterous.

One is certainly more than enough.

You never know someone might want to sell a retired gun dog or more often than not some are sold as pets as they are crap gun dogs.

Do try rescue centres, better to give an unwanted dog a home.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My parents decided to go the whole "animal in captivity" route and got a springer spaniel when I was a lad.

Completely psychotic dog (and well known as a trait of their breed).

It's not wise to make sudden moves around them that could be interpreted as threatening, especially if the one person they latch on to is present.

Eg, sitting in the back of a car, with the dog's favourite driving.

Stopping to get out, and placing your hand on the front seat in order to push it forward.

Dog interprets it as an attack gesture near mistress.

Result...savaged hands covered in blood.

Filthy, foul-tempered beasts.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      My parents decided to go the whole "animal in captivity" route and got a springer spaniel when I was a lad.

Completely psychotic dog (and well known as a trait of their breed).

It's not wise to make sudden moves around them that could be interpreted as threatening, especially if the one person they latch on to is present.

Eg, sitting in the back of a car, with the dog's favourite driving.

Stopping to get out, and placing your hand on the front seat in order to push it forward.

Dog interprets it as an attack gesture near mistress.

Result...savaged hands covered in blood.

Filthy, foul-tempered beasts.
                      Sorry, but that's a symptom of a poorly trained and disciplined dog.

I spent most of my childhood and teens around Springers who were trained gun dogs and their behaviour was superb. Like many collies they're very bright and energetic beasts that need plenty of exercise both mental and physical or they get bored and restless.

In my teens I knew a springer who won many awards as a gun and show dog, he was a big brute, but would walk with anyone, obey commands instantly and had perfect discipline, but he was trained to the gun by experts and properly employed as a gun dog on a frequent basis.
                      Working breeds suffer mental and physical stress or if their natural working environment isn't at least simulated and that's why many are regarded as nuts or vicious.

Comment

Working...
                      X