• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Dog [Springer Spaniel]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wxman View Post
    We "baby sat" two springer spaniel's over Christmas - and now the wife is in love

How does one go about buying a dog [A good one] - silly question I know but I have not done it before

All advice welcome

I had a mutt when I was young and and am therefore well versed into the walking, feeding costs and commitment etc - actually I enjoy it
    Well a good dog != springer spaniel, most of them are born insane. If you want a right good pet dog lad, get yerself a whippet, or if you've a bit of space a greyhound.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Well a good dog != springer spaniel, most of them are born insane. If you want a right good pet dog lad, get yerself a whippet, or if you've a bit of space a greyhound.
      Goodness. A greyhound isn't exactly an easy dog, is it?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Goodness. A greyhound isn't exactly an easy dog, is it?
        Make great pets though. Lots of charities out there will gift you a retired racer, i.e. a 4 year old. Short hair that doesn't seem to be as bad for those with allergies, they're quite light makes them so easy to pick up, yet tall so they're easy to stroke. All sorts of colours to choose from. Don't seem to tug on the lead, and don't really need that much more exercise than other dogs.

Comment

Make great pets though. Lots of charities out there will gift you a retired racer, i.e. a 4 year old. Short hair that doesn't seem to be as bad for those with allergies, they're quite light makes them so easy to pick up, yet tall so they're easy to stroke. All sorts of colours to choose from. Don't seem to tug on the lead, and don't really need that much more exercise than other dogs.
          They are very appealing, but I thought the exercise thing was the deal breaker.

Are you sure they don't need more exercise than the average dog?

If that's the case I might just get one.
          Last edited by bogeyman; 5 January 2009, 18:45. Reason: sp.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            They are very appealing, but I though the exercise thing was the deal breaker.

Are you sure they don't need more exercise than the average dog?

If that's the case I might just get one.
            Don't need to take just my word, there're lots of charities for retired greyhounds, get in touch with your local one.

Comment

Don't need to take just my word, there're lots of charities for retired greyhounds, get in touch with your local one.
              Yeah. Might do that. Cheers.

Comment

Are you looking for a Welsh or English springer? They are not the same breed and Welsh springers are easier to train than English springers.

I prefer cocker spaniels because they are easier to train, need less exercise and are less boisterous
                Last edited by Lambros; 5 January 2009, 21:58.

Comment

For Heaven's sake don't get a greyhound! My sister has two of the brutes, so I know.

Indoors they just mooch around looking mournful and undemonstrative, and that's in the short spells when they're awake. They spend almost all the time comatose, only coming to life at meal times (when they eat like ogres, wolfing down expensive steaks in seconds) and walk times (which require at least five miles and a run around).

The only other time they come to life is when someone else's pet strays into view. Dog or cat, it makes no odds. Your greyhound will dart after it, catch the offending pet of course, being so fast, and expensively savage it. (My sister has spent at least a couple of thousand for neighbours' pets to be patched up after attacks by her greyhound mutts.)

I'd go for a Jack Russell.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd recommend a Sony Aibo, if they still make them.

It won't poo on the carpet. The only running costs are batteries.

It won't chew you out of house and home. It won't smell. It won't go "psycho" and attack a 3 month toddler. It won't get tapeworm. You can turn it off when you get bored with it. You can go out / on holiday without having the hassle of arranging dog-sitters.

However, the only other thing it won't do is offer you unconditional love.

Which, providing you are not emotionally insecure and need to feel "loved", shouldn't be a problem.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                      I'd recommend a Sony Aibo, if they still make them.

It won't poo on the carpet. The only running costs are batteries.
                      I always thought they missed a trick there: when its "battery low" sensor was triggered, it should have shat the batteries on the carpet

Comment

Working...
                      X